Playing over jazz neck pickup , my sweet spot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clemouze, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Salut all

Woooaaw I like it so much !
    When my fingers hit the pickup , allowing some snap on the strings !
    The perfect location to obtain the tone I like, allowing me to play pretty hard and have growl and bass and treble .

First when I bought a jazz bass the guy from the shop ( which is fully dedicated to the bass ) told me " No, no you have to play over the bridge pickup like that "
    YEAH YEAH since I hate the Jaco Tone I guess it is the best way to play for me..
    NO WAY

( obviously I can play closer To neck or to bridge but over the neck pickup is really my sweet spot for MY tone and my best confort )

I bought a Rick 4003 and I was.. well... in difficult
    So I crafted from a pickguard a ramp to mimic a jazz neck pickup ( approx because not the same scale but now I can play with the same feeling )
    Screenshot_20190123-104739_Gallery.jpg

Even if I like playing over the MM pickup of stingray or flea bass , I miss the snappy feeling and tone of that jazz neck sweet spot so I will also create a ramp for them.

Who else does loooooooooove it ?

Attached Files:

JeffJ2112 and Crusher47 like this.
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Same here, but I do play a couple of songs over the bridge pickup to change the tone up a little bit.

Bill Whitehurst and Clemouze like this.
  3. There's not much point in owning a J if you don't explore and occasionally use the different tones it has.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  4. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    False
    I can turn knobs

Also I have explored, I tried several position, I can still play where I want for the tone needed, but I have found MY sweet spot for my main tone

And no Jaco tone allowed in my home !!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021