1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing Rock without a drummer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Coeball, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Coeball

Coeball

Aug 25, 2007
    Bath Uk
    I am in a band that has a gig comming up but our drummer has just quit. We do not have enough time to find a new one and teach him/her our set. So I pose the question, is it possible to play rock music without a drummer and still sound good?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It may sound good but it won't be rock.
    Rock is defined by drums, a bass and a guitar.
    You can achieve it through other ways but it's far from obvious.
    If you do an acoustic set for example, you shall be fine.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Who says it's too late to get another drummer?

How involved are the arrangements. A good drummer used
    to subbing should be able to jump in and get the job done with little advance notice.

4. I would get a drum machine, and start programming it right away. Sure, it may seem a little cheesy, but not as much as no drummer at all.

Or, like mentioned before, turn it into an acoustic act.

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I played a no-drummer gig last night with my originals band. The majority of our tunes are rock. The club doesn't allow drums due to volume concerns. After seeing and hearing the room, I had to agree. It's basically a concrete box, a good room for 2 guys w/acoustic guitars, not great for a full electric band. We did have our percussion guy, congas, bongos & handheld stuff, but he doesn't really enforce the groove, he's more of an embellishment. Our timing was pretty sloppy, and I missed having a drummer. Our rockitude was definitely impaired.

6. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    If you have no timing together without your drummer......you have no timing! :)

We played as a drumerless trio for quite a while...... it can be done. Getting paid is a PITA though-it's easier to find work for two or four than for three.

If you've already booked the gig, either find a replacement or do it acoustic..... grab a bongo player if you have to. It might turn out to be a good thing in the end :).

7. Reminds me of @ 2:17.

8. Coeball

Coeball

Aug 25, 2007
    Bath Uk
    Thank you for all of your responses

Yeah it might work.