playing with broken fingers??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fivesevenoh, Sep 23, 2003.

1. I broke my left thumb. [I'm a right handed bassist] and its hard for me to hold the bass and whatnot, since i cant put pressure on my thumb.

here's the thing: I normally pivot from my thumb to fret notes. is it considered bad technique if I move my whole hand, instead of pivoting? [since i cant pivot]
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you know, there was a warmup exercise that I used to do(still do every once in a while)

that was basically playing without your left thumb anchored on the back of the neck.

it is a little tricky at first but you should get the hang of it fairly quickly.
  3. could ya post a link to it, please?:cool:
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's very simple, just play things you'd regularly play, warmups, exercises, songs...etc. without anchoring your thumb ;)
  5. thanks.

It feels wierd. i am used to anchoring my thumb, coz I like to thrash around alot when I play.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Don't then - it'll be good practice!!
  7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    well, i always try to play as relaxed as possible, and theoretically i wouldn't need my left thumb at all (as an anchor).

so yes, it would be a good idea for you to practice without having that anchoring, especially if you notice that you rely on it very much.