1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

playing with broken fingers??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fivesevenoh, Sep 23, 2003.

1. I broke my left thumb. [I'm a right handed bassist] and its hard for me to hold the bass and whatnot, since i cant put pressure on my thumb.

here's the thing: I normally pivot from my thumb to fret notes. is it considered bad technique if I move my whole hand, instead of pivoting? [since i cant pivot]

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you know, there was a warmup exercise that I used to do(still do every once in a while)

that was basically playing without your left thumb anchored on the back of the neck.

it is a little tricky at first but you should get the hang of it fairly quickly.

3. could ya post a link to it, please?:cool:

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's very simple, just play things you'd regularly play, warmups, exercises, songs...etc. without anchoring your thumb ;)

5. thanks.

It feels wierd. i am used to anchoring my thumb, coz I like to thrash around alot when I play.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Don't then - it'll be good practice!!

7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    well, i always try to play as relaxed as possible, and theoretically i wouldn't need my left thumb at all (as an anchor).

so yes, it would be a good idea for you to practice without having that anchoring, especially if you notice that you rely on it very much.