Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing with others

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by havik180, Mar 15, 2006.

1. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    First off my short bass history,I've been playing for about 5-6 months on my own and just had my first lesson last week.
    My girlfriend's brother has been playing the guitar about the same amount of time and a friend of his has been playing drums for most of his life.

we'd like to get together and "jam" but I don't really know what the hell to do ! Are there any tips you guys can give me as to how or what to play/study ? Do I just start out really simple and follow the kick drum ? What about when just playing with a guitarist ? what about writing bass lines ? Any other input ? HELP!?

Rich

2. Don't think about it... you are overthinking, just like I did the first time...

Just get together, make noise, and have fun..and tune your instruments so you're all on the same page...

I know I seem vague, but the best music usually happens when you literally "fall into" something cool..

Good luck. :)

P.S., ...you forgot these guys at the end of your post::help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    ^^I total agree with the above, esp. the fun part.