Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing WITHOUT an amp?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paniak17, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Ok, i didnt konw where to put this once again, but here it goes, I am over at my dads house and my amp is at my moms, I want to play on an amp so badly. I got back from practicing wiht my guitarist so i have a cord with me, but thats it, what can i plug it into? im not worried about sound quality or anything, Is this even possible? Is there a convertor I can buy to convert my cord to something so i can plug in another thing. Help, I NEED an amp.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    buy yourself one of those little headphone amps. Those are great for practicing by yourself, and peacefully.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I play through my soundcard all the time with just a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter.

great for playing with MP3s

4. Another idea is to get a cheap $20 mixer from Radio shack. It will accept 1/4 inch inputs. It has a tape deck output (RCA) that you can plug into a stereo receiver.

5. Push the headstock up against the door like the poor kids

6. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
  7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Play with your ear pressed up against the body of the bass.

Or put the body of the bass up against a wooden desk or table. The vibrations turn the furniture into a resonator and amplifies the note a little bit.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    A used Korg PX3B can usually be found on eBay for a reasonable price. That gets you a tuner, a practice amp, and a rudimentary drum machine all in one little box.

9. I used to play with the headstock leaned against my forehead. It allowed me to hear the notes without an amp, and also made me feel like a total jackass, so I think that might be a winning proposition for others, as well!

10. ZonMaster

ZonMaster

Jun 18, 2004
    maybe Kansas
    I agree with Pete. When in a bind and need that bass fix in a pinch you can also sit in a chair with armrests and make contact with the armrests to resonate. You still get to sit and play naturally. Or, even louder, sit yourself perpendicular to a wall (not in a basement :rollno: ) and let the edge of the bass or guitar strap button touch the wall.

Perhaps you'll be in the market for 2nd small practice amp eventually?

11. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Oh, this is easy. Here's what you're gonna need:
    1 can of shaving cream
    1 lemon wedge
    1 porcelain bath tub. It HAS to be porcelain. The fiberglass tubs do not work.
    First thing is you want the bass to make contact with YOU, not your cloths. So....off with the cloths. Next empty the can of shaving cream into your hands. Use the entire can. You'll need it all. Then work the shaving cream into all body hair. DO NOT discard the can. You're gonna need it. Wash and dry hands. Now grab your bass and climb in the tub. Don't sit as normal as the bass neck will hang out. Face the back wall so that the entire bass runs the length of the tub. Place the lemon wedge behind your right ear. Now place your right ear against the side wall and play. There ya go! You can use the empty shaving cream can as a spacer if you can't reach the wall with your ear.

Always glad to be helpful,
    Joey

12. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't be affraid to experiment with different types of shaving cream. I like the sound of the lemon scented stuff for sensitive skin.

14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Amazingly enough, I have found that in a pinch, whipped cream will work as well. Unfortunately, the whipped cream doesn't last as long and you will have to reapply it frequently.

15. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

:D :bag:

16. x00ledhead

x00ledhead

Dec 7, 2008
    if you have dry wall it resonates pretty nice when the headstock is touching it. i do it all the time b/c i hate playing through a guitar amp