please explain...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by carlo, Mar 6, 2004.

1. carlo

Feb 29, 2004
    some has this skill...

they seem to here tunes through their ears (basslines) then effortlessly pick up their bass guitars then in an instant the basslines swinging in their ears are realized.

some bassist listen to a song that they have heard only that point in time, the kaboom! in an instant pick up their bass guitar again and realized the basslines of the tune they just have heard...

how will i be able to develop this skill?..
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    • Practice.
    • Transcribing/learning songs
    • Ear training
    • More practice.
  3. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Can't stress practice enough! Anyone can do it, its all about practice!

4. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    It may look like I'm trying to steal this thread, but I think this is relevant:

If I am to figure out a song, let's say Autum Leaves, how can I know which chords are beeing used? I can find the root of the chords, but how do I know if its a dim, minor etc? Is this just something one knows or are there "tricks"?

5. if you practice scales and modes often enough you hear the different "colours" between them. Combine that with transposing music off a cd, and with time you pick it up.
  6. I have a guitar playing friend that could play by ear from day one. It's a nice ability to have, I reckon.
  7. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Ich könnte mehr nicht übereinstimmen.

What he said :bassist:
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The "trick" would be putting in the time to learn intervals, both ascending and descending, then scales, then chords and what different chords sound like, even in their inversions. That may take a lot of time, practice, patience and frustration. The truth is however, some folks are blessed with perfect pitch and some just seem to have a better 'ear" at first than others. Those others have to work longer and harder to arrive at the same place.

Another "trick" is learning music theory so that you can begin to identify common chord progressions and common ways songs are structured, such as the twelve bar blues format or other common arrangements of verse and chorus or bridge.

For example, if you know the typical twelve bar blues format and its most usual variations, it will be much easier for you to identify which chords you are dealing with when transcribing a song. I do not advise starting out with a really complex jazz piece that has many chord substitutions or unexpected chord progressions.

Really there are no fast and easy tricks for those who do not possess a trained "ear." But if someone here knows a few, let us know what they are.

I highly recommend Gary Willis' book/CD set "Ultimate Ear Training for Guitar and Bass."
  9. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I'll go order that book right away:) Thanks.
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Just realize that most secular bands use 1 of 5 different chord progressions in their songs, and you are all set.
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Terribly inacurate statement, money.
  12. The way that most people can do it is just because they are familier with the sound. The only way to get familier with it is to practice everything there is alot, that way when you hear somone else doing it, you know what theyre doing.