1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help a beginner!

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by FirstMateJepeto, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I am currently 18 years old and I've been playing electric bass guitar for 6 years. I use a 6 string Schecter Stilleto and I am thinking of buying an electric upright bass... I need advice for the different models, also for the minimum price of a good instrument. I play in a prog/experimental band.

2. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
    I'm somewhat in the same boat. I'm interested in getting a decent EUB, but its difficult to cull through all the threads here to get a good understanding of the quality differences in EUB brands and what a good minimum price point to start looking at instruments. I've looked at the stickies, and besides the megathreads on individual brands (which have far too much info), the "primer" type threads seem to deal with "is and EUB right for me" or "is EUB a good intro to DB" which isn't the information I'm looking for.
    Personally I've decided I'm not interested in a DB at this point, and am definitely looking for only an EUB.
    Can anyone point to a thread that deals specifically with what a beginner EUB player should be looking for? If not, any experienced EUB owners want to make a primer type thread for us newbies?
    Specifically pro and cons of different types/brands, price ranges, what to look for in electronics, advantages/disadvantages of string types, solid body vs. hollow body, and anything else someone brand new to EUB should be looking for ("the questions we didn't even know we were suppose to ask" kind of thing).

3. You want an instrument with approximately a 41.5" string length from nut to bridge. Small variations are ok, but 34" or 35" is not a proper upright bass, IMO. (The Dean Pace, for example, is 35".)

The NS Design WAV 4 can be found used for under $1000. It has decent piezo pickups and can use regular double bass strings. It isn't perfect - there are known issues with the tuners (cheap, but can be replaced) and the stand (cheap, certain parts are difficult to replace). There is no neck heel, which makes intonation very difficult.

However, it's really the only option that I'm aware of in the sub-$2G market that has 41.5" strings and can actually be found on the used market.

It has been replaced by the NS Design NXT which is (as far as I know) the exact same product, but manufactured in Europe instead of China, and costs a few hundred dollars more.

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
  5. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I was in the same position awhile back. I bought a Dean Pace just to give it a try, loved it, but then quickly bought a NS CRM 4 string, with the longer scale length. That said, I am lusting after the NS Omni Bass, with the 34 inch scale. The NS Design stuff is wonderful. I haven't played one of the newer NXT's, but the older ones eventually got pretty good.