1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me pick a bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrangeFurball, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Thanks to everyone that helped!!!! I finally decided on a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Short Scale red bass!

Hello! I am extremely new to bass and am picking a guitar. My budget is $200 (I know, it's not much.)

I have been looking through basses and think i have found ones that would be good for me. I have no idea what matters when choosing, so I am going off of brand name, price, and looks. These are the ones I have narrowed it down to, in order from favorite to least favorite:

1. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/epiphone-eb-0-electric-bass (red) ********ELIMINATED*********

2. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/dean-custom-zone-4-string-bass-guitar (Green)

3. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-gsr200-4-string-bass/h75860

4. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-ltd-ec-54-bass-guitar

I really like the first two equally, but I'm not sure which would be better. I want to play alternative rock, classic rock, and some random other stuff. Mainly alternative. I am 5' 11" but I was told that a 20 fret bass would be fine to begin with. If i enjoy playing and get better I will buy a new one. Thanks! :help:

2. Any of those would work great for a first bass. Some people have a negative view of Deans so be prepared for that. I'm more into the Ibanez or ESP.

Try looking used as well. You'll save alot of money that way. Since your just starting and really don't know much about what makes a good bass and what to look for I'd say buying new wouldn't be a bad idea just so you know you gonna have something that will work.

3. Thanks! Is there anything wrong with Deans that people don't like them?

4. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Also, maybe look used if you are comfortable checking the instrument over. For your money you might be able to snag a good deal.

5. The only reason i wouldn't go used as a newbie would be the possibility of getting sold junk. Used is always my favorite way to go for gear, but if you do, get someone more experienced to go with you.

6. The EB0 is a very undefined, muddy, and horrible sounding bass IMO. Don't do it.

7. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I completely agree. I guess an in between option would be going used from a music shop. And even if you don't buy from them, I'd go to a music store and try out the different basses you picked out and just go with the one that feels the best to you.

8. Oh.. don't want that. Okay so not my top choice is the dean!

9. Well, that sucks. Call them, complain that it doesn't work, and ask them to provide their best price. They usually will come down some.

Here's the thing. It's only 30-50 bucks more. You will eventually sell this bass whether you quit playing or keep playing. The resale will be much more favorable than any of the others you listed and you will actually come out spending less in the long run.

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    What baba said , get a squier vm or classic vibe jazz.

11. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Of the 4 basses you selected, the Ibanez is the best choice.
    It will balance better, has a comfy neck, and more tonal options than the other three. The others are one trick ponies, The Ibby will let you explore more variation in your tone(s)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ This /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    You get way more bang for your buck going used. But as a noob you absolutely need someone who knows a little bit about guitars/basses to go with you. If that is not an option get the Ibby.

PS: to hear your bass you will need to budget for some kind of practice amp.

have fun & welcome to the low side.

12. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    PSS: If you can swing a deal on the Squier get. If not, get the Ibby.

13. Ibanez would be my choice, I've never picked one up that didn't feel nice. that green is sweet though.

14. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    Have you looked through the TB classifieds?

15. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I'd go for a Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe bass. Look at guitar center's used website. They have quite a few of these basses for under $200. Many of them play as good as instruments worth 4 times that.

16. I'm just waiting for my computer to sell. Then in purchasing one. I plan on ordering an amp, bass stand, two straps, two cables, a snark tuner, extra strings, and a few picks for $104 from musicians friend. It seems like a good deal to me. I'm only going to have $250-$310 to spend on this (my money is a bit tight) which is why I'm looking at $200 basses. Can't really go above that. I'll look at used items on guitarcenter now then the classifieds. Thanks

17. elf1271

elf1271

Jun 6, 2012
    So if your looking at spending $200.00 and you like fender you might want to copy and paste the link below.From what i have read the squier vintage modified basses are great for beginner bass.Plus donovan the guy that ownes fretspot will take care of you. http://www.fretspot.com/2012/05/huge-sale-on-all-fendersquier-basses/

ps- i do not work for fretspot or donovans other store springfield music.Just a very satisfied customer.