1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

please help me to make wooden pickup cover

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ilham akbar, Jun 16, 2016.

1. ilham akbar

ilham akbar

Aug 15, 2014
    gorontalo
    playin bass
    all kind bass player, would you guys help me to make wooden pickup cover for my old bass guitar, i really want it a new fresh look. but found some issues
    i want to make it a square pickup, but i found, its have.. i dunno, its like half circle for the screw, how should i do to make it a square pick up P_20160617_013516_1.
    please guys, really need your help, I'll really appreciate that
    thank you.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Here is a guy who makes them:
    Reed James Exotic Wood Bass Pickups

And if you click here you will find a video on making them:

Or simply "google" wood jazz bass pickup covers

Sorry but I have not made any myself. Hope something here helps you. good luck

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  3. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Have you read any of the James Reed threads here?
    I would never advise anyone, especially someone outside the US, to have any business dealings with him.

4. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2010
    So you would either want to make a cover that has the screw hole tabs, or design a longer square shape where the set screws could be on either end like a soapbar and route the new shape into the bass.

5. Yeah, you'll need to aquire and learn to safely and accurately use a router.

I'd strongly recommend making your cover and body route a standard size. This will open the door for future pickup swaps of many types. Probably the most common 4-string soapbar sizes are 1.5" x 3.5" and 1.5" x 4". Since you are planning to house a jazz bass pickup bobbin, you'll probably have to go with the 4".

Will_White likes this.
  6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    No I haven't on either account. Thanks for the heads up ;)