Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Thursday, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Hi.
    ok I have a P bass with ding and straches everywhere. I just finsih taking off all the stickers of bands and car part off of it. Now I want to paint it. What can I use to take off the Paint?

I just want to paint it over in Fender White Blonde nitrocelluloes or lake placid blue.

2. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    sandpaper....?

-Josh

3. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    What type of sandpaper, like 80 or 1500, anything in between?

4. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    Use stripper. Any hardware store. You can remove the paint and finish with chemical stripper in 20 mins, but PLEASE use proper ventilation and protective equipment. Read the directions carefully and ask someone from the store about using it safely; it is seriously nasty stuff.
    On a lighter note, it will make your job really easy and fast, and won't harm the body at all. You simply spray it on, let it sit, and then take a scraper and peel the paint and finish right off like a banana.

5. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    stripper
    I use industrial stripper in my other business wont that soften the wood grain too?

I know the NaOH based strippers softer and "fur" wood up.

I have also used Bix , and savogran super strip which are , toulene, methalene and HHCL3 acid. that stuff is NASTY!!!! do that outside!

You probably know more about refinishing basses I just know about chemicals and chemical strippers for exterior surfaces.

6. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Can I use car paint stripper, because I can get that easier than the other type of stipper. (Unlce owns an autobody shop) Also what type of wood are MIM Fender Ps are made of? And what might be the effect of using
    car paint stripper.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Their Alder. I'm thinkign about doing the same thing to my Sqiuer. Plays like a dream. I want to repaint it black because they took a red squier, and painted over it. I found that out when I dinged the upper horn.

I'll be following this thread.

-Mark

8. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Cool. I'm thinking off just taking off the paint gettinf a new maple neck and fretboard, giving the body a few coats of Tung Oil, and leave it like that.