1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

please help ! Problem with bartolini height pickup on a stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kolkoz, Apr 20, 2006.

1. kolkoz

kolkoz

Mar 26, 2003
    FRANCE
    hi !
    Excuse me for my english, i'm french !
    I bought recently a Bart MMK pickup... And I have a very big problem... I can't install it on my stingray 4... The pickup is too high (height)... is it normal ?
    Thank you for your help...

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Measure the difference in the thickness of the actual pups, excluding padding/spacers/springs that may be adhered. The Barts I've had have all been fairly close to the stock Ray thickness but pups do vary in thickness and that can be a problem. That's really something to clarify before a pup purchase.

Also the depth of the routing is a factor. Typically the routing is considerably deeper than needed but not always. If it's shallow, there's not much tolerance.

I'm guessing the Bart is used and has padding that would have to be removed to fit, or there's padding under the existing Ray that needs to be removed. Seems the Rays mount with springs though. You may just need to chuck or change the springs. If not, raising the strings is the only alternative. The good news is Barts don't exert the pull on the strings a Ray does and you can set them pretty close to the strings.