Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help with my uni Dissertation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Si-bob, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Hey all, it would be a massive help if you could fill out this questionnaire for my research. I need as many answers as i can get asap, it would be a massive help. You can either answer hear (as long as its ok with the moderators, or email your answers to simon_poulton@hotmail.com Thanks in advance.

Questions.

 Sex

 Age

 Location

 Are you a gigging Musician?

 How much on average do you spend a month on musical instruments & equipment?

 Have you ever purchased Instruments or equipment from an Internet retailer?

 If so, how much of your monthly purchases are done so via the internet as opposed to more traditional music shops?

 Do you have a preference over which of these methods, internet or music shop, you use to purchase your equipment? If so, why?

 If you purchase from both the internet and high street music shops, what factors influence you when deciding between the two eg Price, Atmosphere, Expertise etc?

Thanks again

Si

2.  Sex

Male

 Age

 Location

Annandale, Virginia, USA at home. Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA at James Madison University

no

Now? None. I might buy a set of strings in a little bit though. I'm content for now. (no G.A.S.??)

Yes

 If so, how much of your monthly purchases are done so via the internet as opposed to more traditional music shops?

I havn't bought anything music-related in a while. However, if I do buy those strings, it will be on the internet.

 Do you have a preference over which of these methods, internet or music shop, you use to purchase your equipment? If so, why?

I'd like to be able to do it in a store as it's more convenient and I don't have to pay shipping, and I can try the equipment out. However, the prices are often better on the internet, and 9/10 times I'll be looking for something specific after a recomendation that's hard to find in stores.

 If you purchase from both the internet and high street music shops, what factors influence you when deciding between the two eg Price, Atmosphere, Expertise etc?

Price, availability of specific equpment, shipping costs, return policy etc

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    There ya go :)

Ray

4. Glad I could help.

Mike

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Questions.

 Sex M

 Age 50

 Location MINNESOTA

 Are you a gigging Musician? Please define (1-month)

 How much on average do you spend a month on musical instruments & equipment? $100

 Have you ever purchased Instruments or equipment from an Internet retailer? actually yes, strings not available locally

 If so, how much of your monthly purchases are done so via the internet as opposed to more traditional music shops? 1%

 Do you have a preference over which of these methods, internet or music shop, you use to purchase your equipment? If so, why? Local shop, I believe it is best for me. I need to know my salesman and have a home/store to go too.

 If you purchase from both the internet and high street music shops, what factors influence you when deciding between the two eg Price, Atmosphere, Expertise etc

Price almost always close enough. to buy locally.

6. Glad to help.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Those are the same questions I was asked at a focus group for Musician's Friend.

8. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
     Sex
    Male

 Age

 Location
    Palm Harbor, FL

Yes

At least $200

Yes, strings

Not much, just strings, so about $20-60

Well if the price is the same, I'll go with the music shop because buying it is instant. No waiting for shipping or anything. Internet shops are for hard to find items, and the price at the internet shop better be A LOT cheaper (including the shipping price) if I'm going to have to wait for shipping. Also you have to worry about expensive heavy stuff getting broken when it's shipped. Returns are ALWAYS A PAIN to internet stores.

Price definitely. Internet music stores better be A LOT cheaper to give me incentive to buy from them. Otherwise it's just easier and safer to buy from a retail store. Of course atmospher and expertise of most retail stores are terrible, I can't ask Sam Ash ANYTHING, but it doesn't bother me since I know exactly what I want the minute I enter the store and it is a quick transaction.

9.  Sex

Yes please.

 Age

Not telling.

 Location

Not telling you that, either! I'm the best hide-n-seeker, y'know.

Kinda. I'm in a band that would like to gig but isn't at the moment.

Don't buy stuff every month.

Nup.

NA

I'd rather buy at the shop, 'cos I can talk to the guys about the stuff and I also am assured I'm getting what I'm paying for.

You never know who's lurking around on the Internet.

NA

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    There is something weird about this thread.

This is for a dissertation??!?

Folmeister, do I know you? Grew up in Martinez, went to DVC then Davis ....

11. Hey guys, u guys are great, please keep them coming!!! :)
    with regards to the musicians friend focus group questions, it looks like its a hell of a coincidence, i'm a 3rd yeah Music Business student in the UK, doing my Diss. on the effect of E-taling on high-street instrument SME's.

Ummmm, so yeah, thanks again and keep them coming :-D

Si

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Yes, we have chatted before. I teach at DVC in the social sciences. We talked about Steve Sage's program and the good work he and the program does. I hope all is well over the bridge!

I think this thread is a little strange, also. A dissertation is what you produce to get a doctorate degree. A thesis is for a master's, and this is no more than a sample survey.

13. I'm doing a BA honors Degree, and this is a small part of my research.

Si

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh, cool. I was worried for a tick that an online retailer was spamming.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Folmeister, how are things at DVC? I recently had to go back there, and to my high school, for transcripts, (everything seems so much SMALLER!). I hope things are going good for Sage, great guy. I was always a fan of Fred Johnson's too in the music program.

16. Bump, Sorry :)

Si

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Sex
    Male

Are you a gigging Musician?
    Yes

How much on average do you spend a month on musical instruments & equipment?
    Over the last few months, virtually nothing - a set of of strings and that was about it! I wonder how much the mean figure of my monthly spend is if I spread it over the length of my "playing career"? Doing a quick bit of calculation, probably c. £25 / month!

Have you ever purchased Instruments or equipment from an Internet retailer?
    Only strings.

If so, how much of your monthly purchases are done so via the internet as opposed to more traditional music shops?
    See above

Do you have a preference over which of these methods, internet or music shop, you use to purchase your equipment? If so, why?
    I prefer to try gear before I purchase it, so my preference is for music shops for things like basses and amps, although the Internet is great for sundries like strings.

If you purchase from both the internet and high street music shops, what factors influence you when deciding between the two eg Price, Atmosphere, Expertise etc?
    See above

Wulf

18. .

Questions.

 Sex male

 Age 17

 Location >birmingham , UK

 Are you a gigging Musician? >yes

£30 for strings cables etc
    nope

 Do you have a preference over which of these methods, internet or music shop, you use to purchase your equipment? If so, why? >music shop >i can look and try what im buying

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What's all this got to do with unicycles again?

brad cook