1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SteveSell, May 13, 2011.

1. SteveSell

SteveSell

May 13, 2011
    I have a Yamaha RBX200 that a friend gave me, he said if I can fix it, I can have it. I replaced the output jack and the volume and tone pots. I compared the wiring to my friends that is the exact same make and model and all looks fine...however...when I plug it in there is no sound except for a hum...if I touch anything metel, the hum stops so I am assuming it is a short in the ground somewhere but I have no idea where...if I touch the pickups while touching metal you can hear the scratching sound of me rubbing my finger on it...if I touch the pickups without touching metal the hum gets a lot worse...any ideas on how to fix it? Are my pickups bad? Please help!

2. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Here is a link for the manuals:
    Yamaha RBX170 Manuals, Support and Troubleshooting - Guitars

Download a schematic: check your work through-out. Many, if not most, tech references contain testing data. You'll need a DIMM and some clip extensions (a lead w/ alligator clips on each end). Check your entire system including the pots. Reference any shielding that may be missing.
    It's no big deal. They are either repairable due to someone screwing their wiring or they are wasted due to mis-handling w/ a soldiering iron. It's actually fairly tough to ruin them.

3. SteveSell

SteveSell

May 13, 2011
    John, thanks for the advice, I will give that a shot

4. It probably has something to do with the way the pickup shield is wired. I had this same problem with my RBX6JM when I switched to an Audere preamp.