1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kyleaubu, Mar 5, 2013.

1. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    Can anyone tell me the make/model of this bass?! I got it from a friend who got it from a friend and no one can tell me what it is. It has absolutely no markings, numbers or anything. Kinda looks like its been painted so that could be why. Any help would be awesome! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362531965.373312. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362531974.698577.

2. Kinda looks like a Gibson Ripper.

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I think it might be the real thing , but I'm not an authority .

4. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It looks exactly like that. Any way that I can confirm whether or not it's a Gibson or a copy? Not bad for a free bass then haha

5. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Look on the back of the headstock. Are there numbers pressed into the wood. Is the neck bolt on or set neck?

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It looks like the real deal. That serial number and neck design should firm it up.

7. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    There are no numbers unfortunately. The neck is bolt on. The body design and headstock design look like the real thing from pictures I've been looking at. The thing is, whoever had it before did ALOT of "custom" finish work on it. Looks like crap. If it is real the value is extremely diminished.

8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    If it's a copy, maybe $75? If it's a Gibby, maybe $250?

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    A pic of the neck plate would help. Most were set neck. But the ones that were bolt-on (I think many were Grabbers if I remember) had a very distinctive neck plate. And those neck plates actually read "Gibson".

10. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    Neck plate looks like it was replaced. It's blank too... It may be a copy. Just the shape of the headstock compared to pics I've looked at looks dead on Gibson. The copies that I've seen so far all have a slightly different shaped headstock. Either way, do you think it's works puttin a little money into to make playable again?

11. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Didn't Ibanez make a bolt on neck copy back in the lawsuit years?

12. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    If it's a bolt on it's not a Gibson Ripper . Both Ibanez and Aria made copies , it certainly looks too old to be an Epi . The Ibanez Ripper is one of the rarest of their lawsuit models . Do you have the bridge that's missing in the photos ?

13. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    I don't have the bridge :( It was given to me by a friend who was going to just toss it. I didn't think it was anything special to begin with. The only reason I was trying to find out what it was in the first place is so I could try to find a bridge for it. One thing that I've noticed in looking at a ton of pictures yesterday, is every single ripper and copy, that I've seen, has the output jack mounted in the pick guard. Mine doesn't. It's mounted in the body, on the side of the guitar. Is this a characteristic that could aid in identifying it? I'm extremely curious now to find what it is.

14. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Gibson or not, it looks like it could be a cool project.

15. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    The bridge would be the standard Gibson style three point bridge , there should be fairly cheap aftermarket copies available . I don't think I would order a real Gibson bridge .

16. chee666

chee666

Jul 24, 2008
    NYC
    Gibson did make some bolt on Rippers and grabbers in the early 70's.... No ?

17. chee666

chee666

Jul 24, 2008
    NYC
    My bad Gibson Ripper did not have a bolt on. What you have is most likely a Aria Pro II Ripper copy.

18. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Well, bolt-on neck means it's not a Ripper. If you have the money, I'd suggest making it into a project bass. There are wiring diagrams for Rippers around, you can google for them. There are plenty of guys on TB that can rewind the pickups for you. And Hipshot makes replacement bridges.

Of course, it'll probably cost more than the bass is worth to do it, but it'll be pretty unique. I'd go for it if I owned it.

19. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    I think that's what I'm gonna do... It'll be a nice project for my son and I.

20. Hipshot makes great quality parts but they may be a little too high-end for this project. A search on ebay or places like AllParts will probably turn up less expensive alternatives.

Rick B.