Please recommend a luthier in/near Montreal

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by GrooveMonkey, Sep 26, 2005.

1. I'm headed to Montreal in a few weeks and would like to have bridge adjusters installed and a setup done on my CBB. Anyone here know of a good shop in the Montreal area?

2. My info is very old (like over 20 years), but for what it's worth:
    -Raymond Forget- A friend in Montreal used to deal with him.
    -Peter Mach- Best known as a bass bowmaker, used to make violins also, did setup and repair, sometimes had basses for sale. He used to be in Aylmer, Quebec, across the river from Ottawa. Too far?
    Maybe try sending a pm to Francois, he may be able to help more.
  3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Mario Lamarre is the man but he's incredibly busy. Forget Peter Mach. He CAN do good work but he can also do incredibly lazy and bad work. I know a bunch of guys that used to use him but no longer do - me included. He chopped the scroll off a 100 year old German bass once to mount an extension and there was no need to do it. If you don't mind coming to Ottawa, I recommend Guy Harrison.
  4. I live south of Plattsburgh. Last year I bought an old German bass that needed quite a bit of work. I had read here on Talkbass about someone getting a bass restored by the folks at Rigel Mandolin in Cambridge, Vt. It's not far from you if you take the Cumberland Head ferry. Anyway, the Wizard of Rigel put ol' Humpty Dumpty back together again and I'm very happy with the work. I think the price was reasonable as well. They did a set up for a friend and he's very happy with it as well.

What kind of music are you playing on the upright?
  5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    In Montreal you may also wish to contact:
    Jules Saint-Michel, (514) 288-4343
    He's on Ontario Street.
  6. Thanks Boom. I'm playing Jazz, Folk, & Country.

I've located a shop in Montpeilier(sp?) VT. They have some spirocores in stock, and will be able to tweak my action on Wednesday. I'll be packing up the Bass and leaving early so I can spend some time there.

This also simplifies things by eliminating the border crossing.

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it works out.