Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pocket Preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spanky, Apr 20, 2004.

1. I'm a steady working musician, but I've always been a "plug-n-play" kind of bassist. I'm also an apartment dweller, and it seems my upstairs neighbor doesnt appreciate my humble 350 watt rig when Im trying to rehearse to a CD or write new material. Ive heard there are some headphone preamps for guitar/basses that a CD player can be routed throuh as well. So here's my question: Does anyone know of something like this, that wont cost me the price of a whole new rig? I still want to add a Korg tuner to my rack, as well as a wireless, so I need to save all the cash I can! :help:
    Thanks in advance!
    Peace!
    Spanky

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't know if the new little Korg amp modelers have an aux input.

I believe that the Behringer Bass Vamp does (at least the Vamp 2 guitar verson does).

You could buy a small Behringer mixer for about $40 (on up) that you could plug both bass and CD player into and use the headphone jack.

There have to be some small combo bass amps that have both CD inputs and a headphone jack.

Lots of choices for low bux...

3. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Absolutely!!!! Tascam BT1 Bass Trainer Sells for approx $150 new. You usually can find one or more new on e-bay for around that price with the AC adapter included. Greatest invention in quite some time.

4. Thanks Jerry, but 150$ even more than I hope to spend. I like the sound of that 40$ better, haha! Maybe 50/60 or so. It doesnt have to be fancy, just direct bass and CD.... ;)
    Peace!
    Spanky

5. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    True, this is quite a bit more than you wanted to spend, but you have to consider all the features of this unit. It has built in tuner, ability to change pitch of a CD without altering tempo, repeating loop to work out a certain phrase or lick, lots of effects etc. IMHO a very good investment that can last you years. Lastly, the thing sound great to boot!!

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The bass pocket rock-it works great.
    Guitar center has them for $40 or $50
    buckaroos. Plug rocket into bass. Plug
    the supplied folding headphones and your
    cd player into the rocket. Small and light
    great for quiet practicing. C Tech pocket
    rock-it.

7. It just so happens Ive been buying all my major gear at Guitar Center since I lived in New Orleans! Ill give them a call tomorrow and if they have one in stock Ill snap it up!
    Thanks!
    Peace!
    Spanky

8. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    I use a small mixer that has a mic preamp. The sound is uncolored and the mixer's tape-in RCA jacks are perfect for a CD player, computer, etc.

The mixer was $35.00 new.

9. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Digitech BP8 has a CD in and a headphone jack. It goes for around $80 used on E-bay.

10. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I use a Korg pandora PX3 for quiet rehearsal at home. It has a aux in for cd (mini-jack), tuner, effects, drumbox and 16 seconds of sampling for phrase training.

great little box!

I also use a Roland MiniCube at home when I don't want to use headphones. The minicube is mostly used for guitar, but it works with bass as well, but i guress I shouldn't crank the volume to high when using bass.

11. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I use the Korg PX3 Pandora as well. The headphone volume is something to be desired (could be louder). Other than that, it's a fun little toy.

12. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I use my 4 track and sansamp DI to do what you described.

13. I called G/C today and the idiot working in guitars transferred me to the idiot in accessories who transferred me to the unsuspecting pro audio department who sent me back to the idiot in accessories. He kept rattling on all these items for $149, 129, 99, Couldnt find the Pocket Rock-it in the computer....finally found something out on the floor for 79$ and then couldnt tell me if you could actually put a CD player in it! :spit: Im calling some other stores tomorrow.

14. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey Spanky!!
    Go to musiciansfriend.com They have them listed
    there. Any guitar center will match the price. Just
    print off the page.

15. Thanks! Got it covered. I just had to get ahold of someone in accessories who actually knew something about music gear! Haha...They have 'em for 49.99...that works for me, Im going Saturday to pick up another 410 cab I had on order anyway, so Ill handle it then....rehearsal tonight, gig tomorrow..and the weekend off! Thanks B String!

16. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey.. If your buying a cab there, they will
    probably be happy to give you an even better
    deal on the rock-it. Good luck!

17. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I've had two of those things. They sounded good, but I had some gripes. I didn't like the plug-straight-into-the-bass bit, it was an unpleasantly tight fit on some of my basses because of that. The first one I had for about a year and a half and it just died, the second one literally fell apart after a month. No abuse in either case, never got em wet, only dropped the first one once and it kept working-- they each just died one day. :bawl:

I'm getting something else this time around. :spit:

18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Lurker...
    I can appreciate your experience with the pocket
    rock-it. Mine has held up for about seven years.
    No abuse, but lots of hard use. Sorry yours didn't
    work out.

19. Well, I got mine yesterday and it sounds even better than I had hoped. I do alot of rehearsing straight from our CDs and I get handed alot of session material that way as well, and with this little gadget I sound like Im playing with the band! Haha...And my neighbors wont get anymore free previews! :spit: Of course, I wont hear them anymore either :D .......Thanks for all the input!

20. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork

Yeah, it was all the more disappointing because I bought the thing because of all the good reviews from people I knew.... I dunno if I just got two bum ones in a row or what, but I'm just not gonna chance it on another one.