Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pointers for a cheaper combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by clochard, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Greetings folks,

i'm back from the newbie tread, in which i got lost, considering the type of info i'm after.

Here goes: can you wonderful and benevolent dbassists point me to some more accessible amps / combo amps for the DB, or simply for acoustic instruments. I'm new to electric amplification in general, and need an amp (sigh).

NOTE: Even tho i was convinced by the times i've played on a contra, i must settle for less.

Enjoy your basses and thanks in advance for the help.

2. what is your budget? The GK mb's can be found used often under $600.
    What pickup are you using? I have had very good success with the new fender bassman 100 and my string charger (magnetic pu).
    It certainly isn't anything like my contra with the golden trinity mic blended with an underwood, but it's good for what it is.
    I'll take the fender to gigs where I'll double or rehearsals to save on the gear lugging. It has a lineout so you can run through the house for larger gigs. I got it for $330 brand new. You'd need a nice preamp and some patience if you'd like to use a piezo pickup with this amp. Put it has a nice punchy 10" speaker. And sounds really, really nice for electric bass.

3. I used a Hartke Kickback 12($250 used)for DB & a bit of BG until I replaced it w/an Eden CXC-110(around $1,000 w/CX-110 ext cab). The Hartke did a good job w/a 3/4 solid-top DB; the shape function(a notch filter, I believe)was a very effective feedback tamer. These are fairly common on the used market- try ebay. I imagine the 10" version might be just as good, considering I never needed to turn it up very high, & a lot of bass(frequency)- which I'm thinking would be the major sacrifice going from 12 to 10- is not so good, IME, when amping a DB.

Edit: Another not-too-shabby-for-DB amp I just 'discovered' is my(27+year)old Crate model 1B(their first bass amp). 30 watts, 1x12, gain, treble, bass, volume and a line out in the back for connecting multiple units. Actually serviceable as a doghouse magnifier. WhodathunkTHAT. You will not likely see one of these for sale anytime soon, but it does make me wonder what other previously unconsidered little rigs might work surprisingly well for DB. :meh:

4. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    +1 for the Gallien Krueger MB 150. Excellent for DB and pretty great for electric bass @ lower volumes.

JK

5. How about the Roland Cube combo? Years ago I used to own the Roland Cube 60 and later Roland Cube 100 (the number indicates power of the amp) and they sounded nice. You don't need any preamp and they are very cheap...

6. If you're really on a budget, you can try the cheap behringer ultrabass bx1200. The behringer site lists it at 320 CAN$

I use one with a k&k bassmax pickup and it's ok. The shape button & equalisation allows you to get a decent acoustic sound. Not the best sound ever heard but wery good for the price (I've tried a lot of cheap combos and found this one the best for DB). Weight <20kg and like behringer products, you have all needed connection (DI, tuner out, speaker out, direct input to the amplification stage if you already have a preamp...)
    I'm dreaming of an ai combo (I've tried one... but too expensive for me at this time).

Sylvain Clément

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Don't count out the SWR WM10 and WM12. They can usually be found for good prices (sub $400) and they work well for both upright and low-volume electric gigs.

8. Most small combos have a boxy, coloured sound. I like the clean, neutral sound and extended lows of Eden & Nemesis gear - best for upright bass IMO are the N28S (120w/2 x 8"), the NC210 (250w 2 x 10") or the CXC110 (330w 1 x 10").

9. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I've got a spare GK combo I'd be willing to part with as its gathering dust.

My son has decided to place his interests in other places (xbox on line video etc) and told me he is not interested in playing anymore.

No sense in having two amps taking up space !!

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    OP, take Speedster up on this.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I just got a used ampeg b100r that does pretty nicely. I got it for well under $300...

12. Thanks everyone for all those fast-sprung replies;
    i'll search into your advices and suggestions for combo models.

Don't hesitate to add more, would make an eventual good newbie sticky topic.

Cheers,
    h.

OH ALSO: more info on the action I intend to put it in: i intend to use that potential comboamp with a 1/2 or 3/4 plywood bass with a fishman full circle.

13. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I bought a used GK MB150E for less than $500 several years ago and it's been a great gigging amp.

I know someone who gigs with a SWR WM10, which can be had for very little money used. I think he sounds good. I'm pretty sure you can hit the top of that amps range in some rooms.

I know someone who uses the cheaper SWR LA12. I think he sounds fine getting sound support in really small situations, but wouldn't recommend it for something bigger than that.

If you can get a good deal on an SWR California Blonde used, they're great DB amps. They tend to be tougher to score used, but you might catch one between $450-600 depending on where you live.

There are good reasons to spend + $1,000 for DB amps, but you don't have to.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Ahhhh, the ampeg b100r is ok for DB, but not the best choice. I used an swr strawberry blonde for a while that I liked a lot. I think I paid about $500 for it new. Similar to California Blonde, but smaller, and no mic input. Either would work well, as would an swr super redhead. You might look into AI Focus or Contra combos, they work well for doubling. You might also search/read/ask in the double bass forum...

15. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Yorkville/Traynor Bassmaster combos are really nice and very reasonably priced. I have the small 50 watt 1x10" that I use as a backup or for rehearsals with a drummer etc.

16. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    From http://musiccastle.com:

**Gallien Krueger 200MB 1x12 bass combo. Well played. Runs like a champ $249

1-248 543-5070