Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pointless Alcohol laws......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I was talking to a friend of mine, who was walking home last weekend when a police car strolled up behind him, asked him to come over, and questioned him about his age and whether or not he has been drinking. Thankfully he was 22 so it didn't matter.

My question was "Cops can do that?". Apparently they can now as many states now have this really stupid law that counts the body as a container, thus counting as possession of alcohol.

What next? Are people going to start getting busted for just looking at alcohol? Who are these people in office who make these laws and how do they get elected? How can an 18-19-20 year old even get a MINOR in possession then they aren't even minors?

I'm all for busting drunk drivers and people under the age of 18for drinking, but give me a break. At least let the 18-20 crowd have the substance in their bodies. You Europeans must laugh at us.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yes we are, but on the other hand sometimes I would appriciate such laws, too. People who don't know how to behave when intoxicated shouldn't drink - and usually that skill comes through maturing.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I agree that 18+ should be able to drink legally. One more way that Europe is so much more culturally mature than the USA.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    While walking??? Hahaha, hum, sorry, but that's just plain idiotic. Otoh, it all depends on how much he had been drinking, if he was really pissed, here in Belgium he could have spend the night in jail and get "public drunkness" on his permanent record.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Not to derail the thread..

but I've spent a lot of time in Italy. Like France, and countless other countries, drinking just doesn't seem to be a big deal to adults or kids. There also doesn't seem to be as much abuse. I have to think there is a cause and effect there.

6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    We have public intoxication laws here too. I think people who have been drinking heavily and causing problems should be dealt with, but if you're just walking down the street minding your own business, or getting a ride home from a sober person, I don't see what all this accomplishes. Crazy Americans.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I'm not even European, and I laugh at you. Well, not Americans, but you personally. :D

8. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Move to Canada.:)

9. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Who cares. I always say just avoid doing stupid things and you're fine. Unless you're in the army or Alaskan fishing or something, you've got years to live. What difference does 15 min. check make? Worth it for me if it saves a whole life of someone else.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Lol.

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    :bassist:

12. I usually don't agree with you BB, but this is one time that i kinda agree with you...In Wisconsin the drinking age was 18 until president reagan decided the drinking age will be 21...IIRC, Wisconsin was against the age change, as drinking wasn't as much of a problem here (at least in northern and central wisconsin, I'm not sure about southern WI) plus with 18-20 year old kids, the state could could make more money, because more people could drink alcohol...anyways,nancy reagan as we all should know, is a big advocate against alcohol and drugs, so when saw 18-20 year old kids abusing alcohol, she had the president change the drinking age the 21. anyways, what may be the only true part of this story is that Wisconsin wanted to keep the drinking age @ 18, but needed serious funds for serious roadwork, and so when they asked Washington DC for the funds, they said "we'll give you the money when you change the drinking age" and now you have to be 21!
    anyways, i guess its not such a bad thing, i can drink the rest of my life if i really wanted, so waiting until 21 is just fine...of course, with parents who were able to drink at 18, they don't see a problem with me drinking with them, which is fine...

The only real beef i have with drinking age is that soldiers still can't drink...I mean, they go to war for the country, see all the horrible sights of war, come home and when they ask for a drink, they can't have one!
    I think it's strange that america's 16-20 year olds are old enough to kill for their country, but can't have a drink! that reminds me of that one song, "you're old enough to kill, but not for voting"

granted, if you don't like the way things are in the US, i believe that Canada isn't far and the drinking age is 18-19 depending where you are :)

13. Exactly-- The Federal government bullies the state govs by threatening to cut off highway funds if they set a reasonable drinking age.

14. ....or the states could sack up and decide to fund their own projects if they want to set a different drinking age.

As someone who consumed enough alcohol between the ages of 18-21 to get this entire forum drunk, I'd like to convey an unpopular opinion. Guys (and girls) it's time to face a fact: Most of you are simply not smart at 18. Before you blast me, please read this: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/TSF2004/809918.pdf

(if you don't feel like reading it, I'll summarize it: 15-20 year olds get in more car wrecks and are more likely to die in a wreck that any other age group per capita. To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of the alcohol stats because it doesn't run them against the other age groups, so I'll not include them in my argument).

Lack of experience in just about every facet of life takes its toll. Period. I'm not comfortable with giving the age group most likely to wreck the keys to the liquer cabinet and hoping they'll be responsible with it. Blast away.

Mike

15. Stupidity is by no means age exclusive, though that's not what you were implying Mike it bears saying. It is staggering the number of college kids aged 19 and up (beyond the legal age) that drive drunk though; beyond staggering it's sad. Is it that hard to go out and have a good time without getting wasted? If you have four friends that's once every four times you have to lay off the booze.

16. That's a respectable position, yet you stated that you drank alot in your 18-20 days. How can you support one position when you did the exact opposite? I don't want to pull the "Do as I say, not as I do" card but it looks an awful lot like it.

17. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish

Does this mean if the cop shoots him he is guilty of breaking the open container laws?

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Mike..you will find that the VAST majority who disagree with you will be in the under 25 age group.

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Because, when one gets older he realizes that he in fact, did NOT know as much as he thought he did, nor is he the exception to the rule he thought he was.

Call me a hypocrite if you'd like, I am fine with that in this example. I was as much as a dumbass as everyone else in that age group, and nowhere near responsible enough to understand the consequences or my false sense of being bullet proof (or wrong, for the matter).