Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jan 24, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I have a friend at school who wants to start bass. and he seems to have his mind set out of a £579 BC rich Beast bass. and he is purly going for it because of the looks. now im under the impression that this is a bad idea. since it has 2 P pickups which i assume wont provide as much tonal variation. Im trying to convince him not to get it (i may be doing the wrong thing hehe)

so what other "pointy" basses out there that he could get?
  2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Actually, if it's the NJ model, he will get some tone variation. I've played it, and it's definitely a high quality bass for a starter. Sure, he's probably buying it for looks, but BC Rich's have that modern tone that goes well with metal. Some people here would say they're a bit harsh sounding, but they overdrive well IMO. But, if it's lower than the NJ model (like the Platinum or the Bronze), then he really shouldn't get it. Since you're over in Europe, there's also Vintage. They make a bass I just love, it's called Metal Axxe. Check it out here:

3. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    Bad bass to learn on,very uncomfortable to sit with,i recommend a regular jazz bass to start learning on,when i was 15 i went for a nj bass after having my ibanez for awhile and once i got the bc rich,i realized i wasted my money and sold it.
  4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  5. gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Those things are waaay too dangerous for a first bass, you could put an eye out:eek: :eek:

Seriously though, if he is dead set on having some stereotypical "metal" look (why else would you consider buying a BC Rich Beast while sober), have him check out the ESP-LTD F-series basses... less ridiculous-looking and more playable, better balance, etc. Or just a flat black P or J bass, can't go wrong there.
  6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

i told him to look at LTDs since i remember someone saying that you could impale someone with a LTD a while back on another thread (about spinning your bass around :p)

i do agree with the poke eye out thing hehe:D
  7. Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    I would say, if you want the Beast, go for it. If its an NJ series, like the 1 I own, it has great tone & can play almost any style of music.

As for the shape, you get used to it. Its not that uncomfortable to sit with. Granted, the headstock can poke both eyes out @ the same time (fits the sockets just perfectly :D) but the looks are just beautiful.

The things I would reccomend about it: Get a 4 inch leather strap, its the only way you can stand it slung over your shoulder. WATCH THE POINTS, they chip VERY easily.

I'd say go 4 it. Its worth a try.
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Double P's never hurt this guy's tone...

9. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

I've never played one. I live in the States, and I don't want to pay all that shipping to have one sent over here.
  10. Ibanez Iceman looks cool.... The ESP F Series are pretty pointy as well, that's a good idea.