1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Polishing flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PennyroyalWe, Feb 5, 2021.

1. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I got a new set of Fender 9050’s today, and the first 2 inches past the silk wrap on the D string are pretty rough. Noticeably tougher than the rest of the string. As this is the part that’s right over the first fret, it’s mildly annoying. I’ve got some 3000 grit sandpaper, think it’s be safe to give it a few swipes to try to smooth it out, or does this risk compromising the string?

2. The string is already compromised. Try anything.

3. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    It should be fine, flatwounds are usually polished as the final step to make them smoother and I would bet that this "polishing" involves some type of abrasive being used to smooth the strings

eagle67 and PennyroyalWe like this.
  4. Very surprised to hear this. Fender 9050s feel great every time I have had my paws on them, pleasantly smooth. Your string might be a dud that slipped past QC.

instrumentalist and PennyroyalWe like this.
  5. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I’m pretty bummed about it, too, as I also have had nothing but good experiences before. I took the sand paper to it and it did make it better. Still not exactly as smooth as the rest of the string, but much less noticeable that it was.

instrumentalist likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021