1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

***POLL*** BEST PREAMP FOR FINGERSTYLE METAL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Sansamp RBI or BDDI

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Ashdown RPM

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Ampeg SVP series

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. BBE Bmax / Bmax-T

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Aguilar db series

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Demeter

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Forget the silly preamp, Give me an SVT

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  8. Other

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Whats the best preamp for fast fingerstyle metal? Clean and dirty....

TALKBASS SPEAKS!!!

2. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    SWR Interstellar Overdrive

But the nastiest, usable overdrive I've ever heard comes from an Aguilar AG500 head.

3. I have had good luck with the Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI, although I can't compare it with other preamps. Before I went the preamp + power amp way, I had only used combos or full /half stacks. The Sans Amp is very straight forward and easy to use for me; plus you can daisy chain two together and use a foot switch to swap between them. They come with a booklet that has preset settings for different amp sounds and decent descriptions of what each knob does.

I have played just about every style imaginable through this preamp and have no complaints.

4. i voted the sansamp because to my ears, those are pretty growly, which seems to work out well in fingerstyle metal

5. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    How about giving a tip on your favourite metal setting on the BDDI, while you vote. I'd be interested to see it.

6. Please, give me a breake, stop the presses', hold the mojo!!!

Are we talkin new metal or older???

Really doesn't matter, either way.

I've dreded this tone for many years and have concluded that a GOOD clean GROWLy sound it very good, depending on what you're looking for.

I'll tell you WHAT a good Jazz bass will fit the bill (in recording) just aboiut all the time, with the right stings, attack and player.

Just my 2 cents.

7. I voted SVT, but if you could stick a BDDI infront of that, it could work well (actually, i do that, and it does :p )

8. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    I have a Sansamp RBI and it can really get down and dirty. I can't compare it with any other preamps though, sorry.

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    How would you compare the overdrive tone of the IOD to the Ag?

I had an IOD, and amconsidering the Ag (now have a db359)