1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: Do you have a "beater" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moon-bass, Sep 24, 2020.

1. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Question for the collective: do you have a beater bass? One that you would be okay with if it got stolen, lost, or damaged?

When I gigged frequently I had a beater, but I hardly ever used it. I ended up selling it a long time ago. Recently I picked up another beater, but not sure if I'm going to keep it. A good portion of my basses aren't in pristine condition, so a bump here or there won't bother me. I've never had a bass stolen, and my most irreplaceable basses aren't going to be gigged.

So, thoughts? Ever glad you used a beater?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I bought one for the road precisely because I wouldn't cry if it was damaged or stolen. Of course no one wants a bass to be broken or taken, but it obviously happens. I had a REALLY nice bass (still do) but it became obvious that I should have something less rarified. It wasn't a shambles of a bass either, but it was about 1/15th the cost of the one I had been gigging.

3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    My beater has become my No 1.

4. I had a beat up early 90's 4003 that I bought cheap that sounded and played great and I stupidly sold it, right now I don't have one.

Charlzm likes this.
  5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I bought a G&L tribute L2500 as a wet weather/questionable venue bass. I really like it and I'd be upset if it got stolen or irreparably damaged, but it's job is to be at risk so my more expensive basses aren't.

6. KaraQ

KaraQ

Apr 19, 2020
    Sacramento, CA
    mine is currently non-assembled, pending me learning how to:
    A) fix a headstock break :eek:
    2) paint :nailbiting:

20200924_213701.jpg

7. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I got an NY Pro 5er years ago to play a few tunes down a half step. Only cost me $120 and it's really not all that good. If it vanished I wouldn't lose any sleep.

8. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Nope. Just 2 main basses that I use for everything. Sold others because they weren't getting used.

9. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

I can't have nice things. Every base I own is a beater. At the same time, they are all precious to me, and I would be upset were they to be lost, stolen, or damaged.

10. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

No.
    There's no reason to have a bass that I wouldn't treat with the same care as the others.

TH63, MetalMaximus, Holdsg and 7 others like this.
  11. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    I bought this clapped out Ibanez 5 string a few months ago, this poor bass looked like it'd taken more than one trip down a flight of stairs. DEEP dents and dings all over it, but the neck is surprisingly bang on straight, & it stays in tune. The guts were a wreck, the preamp had somehow gotten cracked, so I scored a deal on a pair of EMG 40-J pickups & a wiring kit on reverb, tossed that in and it sound rather nice. It's the one I leave at our rehearsal space with my amp & cab so I can save my Warwick & Fender for gigs.

12. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    ... yyyyessssssss... but it would still suck to lose an instrument regardless.

13. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    I consider my first 2 basses (Squier P and Spector Q4) to be my beaters. That being said, I would be heartbroken if something happened to either. I'm just not concerned with keeping them pristine, or their resale value.

I consider them more practice/writing basses because they have reliability issues that would prevent me from gigging with them and I usually feel the most inspired when playing both on my own.

14. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I’ve got nothing but...

Huw Phillips, garp, dr doofie and 3 others like this.
  15. Yes. In addition to playing in a band, I play bass every Sunday in church. I got tired of lugging a bass back and forth weekly for one or two songs, so I did some rehab on an 80's Peavey Dyna Bass 5 that I've owned for several (10+) years. I put a new Schaller bridge on it because the original bridge had a bunch of stripped out screws in the saddles. It's an exact replacement for this bass; had to be the one Peavey used. Adjusted the relief and set the string height, oiled the fingerboard and put in a new 9V and it now lives on a stand at church. The thing plays so good now that I actually look forward to playing it each Sunday. Doesn't really fit the definition of a beater bass but it's the closest thing I have. Yes, I would be bummed if it were damaged or stolen but I could replace it easily as these are still one of the most undervalued basses available, IMO.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  16. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I think my heap of parts I screwed together qualifies as a beater, tho it’s my favorite bass right now. Part of the appeal is that I don’t mind modding it. My “nice” bass is all stock.

I’d hate either to be lost or stolen, but monetary value favors the “beater” in this regard.

I don’t mind any of my basses getting damaged, as long as it is repairable.

But I’d never buy a bass so valuable that I would have serious regret if it was lost or stolen. My nicest bass was stolen, and my only thought was “I hope someone’s gonna play that thing”.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I don't have a "beater" bass, but my US Lakland 4460 has probably over a thousand gigs on it by now. I play that thing all the time. It definitely looks like a beater.

fleabitten and EatS1stBassist like this.
  18. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Hmmm... none in currently in my possession. I have willingly "loaned on a permanent basis" (given away) 3 basses to people who would put them to (better) use. For me that meant making peace with not having control over use/storage/maintenance/condition/safety of those instruments. Which, by extension, meant that I became OK with losing them. Which was kinda liberating.

Late in my sixth decade (and not really playing all that actively these days), I've grown less and less attached to "stuff" in general, and that includes my basses. It would bother me a great deal to lose my 77/78 P, though.

19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have a friend who regularly bigger a '58 Strat and a '63 Gibson. Life is too short to play lousy instruments.

Passinwind likes this.
  20. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I have a backup, but I wouldn’t call it a beater. I care less about it than my main, but I still take care of it. It’s not like I take it out of the house without a case or anything

Dan Stone likes this.