1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poll: There is NO STAGE

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mellowinman, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Heck yeah!

84.9%
  2. Heck no!

3.7%
  3. Where the heck is a carrot when I need one?

11.4%
  1. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Either OK to taste. Chili on a dog-w/ onions-mmmmm.:thumbsup:

ak56 likes this.
  2. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Chili on a dog, now we're talkin'.drool

3. Should we adjust the poll to reflect the current conversation on ketchup/mustard?

roccobass and GonePlaid like this.
  4. STONE GROUND MUSTARD OR I WON'T PLAY!!!

MattZilla, GonePlaid and mikeyjm2 like this.
  5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I only play for catsup

GonePlaid likes this.
  6. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    What if I have mustard to grind, but no stones handy? Does "Boot Ground Mustard" sound good?

GonePlaid likes this.
  7. :roflmao: No.

GonePlaid likes this.
  8. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Going back to the original topic, this is the band 'area' at one of our gigs.[I may have posted this b4-CRS]Pic taken by drummer, I'm in the corner. IMG_1383. Dance area in front of us.

Downunderwonder and G Aichele like this.
  9. zephoria

zephoria

Oct 26, 2006
    Waco, Texas
    The ONLY place in my town that will pay for original live music is a Mexican food joint that has a patio. We play on the floor, just under a TV, between the wall and a pillar. There's almost enough room for us to stand with our instruments in a normal position and we couldn't be happier. The tip jar is always full and the check never bounces. What is there to complain about?
    The last time we played there a couple was in the middle of eating at the table on "the stage." When they saw us walk in with our gear they picked up their plates and moved to another table on their own because they were excited to hear some music. They wound up staying for our entire show and even bought one of our CDs. I'd much rather be in that situation than on a stage with no audience, or worse a dismissive one.

10. Taustin Powers

Taustin Powers Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    I will play any place people will alow me to play. Not picky about the venue/stage/etc. in the least.

Benny Bennett, GonePlaid and jerry like this.
  11. TreySonagras

TreySonagras

Aug 11, 2013
    Texas
    We have an area rug that is the minimum size we can fit in. If there is just open floor space we roll that out and it helps define our "stage area".

GonePlaid and Old P Bass Guy like this.
  12. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    been there, done that. it depends on how much they are paying

13. taosword

taosword

Dec 9, 2016
    Most of the clubs we play in do not have stages, and many have no carpet and have hard floors all the way around. I always take an acoustic platform to put my speakers on and a space foam mat to stand on. Many of these places are kinda sports bars and have those big ass tvs right above where we are playing. I make sure they are turned off. I remember this one place was packed and there were 2 giant tv screens behind us that I paid no attention to. They were on. The audience seemed into our music and were hooting and hollering. After awhile I realized that there was some sports team from this state that were playing, and everyone was watching probably thinking we were a distraction. After the game was over, most of them left. Next time I made sure the screens were off and that we were not playing when their team was playing. Not having a stage makes the venue intimate, but you have to watch out for the occasional drunk wannabe rock star who thinks its karaoke and stumbles into our space, and the wannabe dances with the stars couple that is swinging into our mic stands. Its all good fun and not as rowdy as when I use to play these kinda places in the 60s and 70s

GonePlaid likes this.
  14. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    One of my favorite gigs with my previous band was a gig we did in our guitar player's hometown when we were on a quick little weekend tour, rolled up to a tiny little bar that had a meeting room they held shows in, and since it was separate from the bar, it could be all ages. Couple of local punk bands opened for us, and it was so much fun to be looking eye to eye with high school kids (20 years younger than me, the grizzled old veteran of the band) just a few feet away, going crazy and singing along with us. It brought me back in time to doing those same types of shows in youth centers when I was their age.

edro and GonePlaid like this.
  15. zephoria

zephoria

Oct 26, 2006
    Waco, Texas
    We have been cheating the system, we bring a thumbdrive with only one image, our logo .We slap that sucker in the TV above us and tell it to display the image. The management were really impressed we figured out how to get our logo on their TV (with all our social dets, of course).

taosword, acleex38 and GonePlaid like this.
  16. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. taosword

taosword

Dec 9, 2016
    That is so cool. What a great idea. Was it that simple to plug in the thumbdrive with the logo pic. and set the source on the tv and display it all nite?

GonePlaid likes this.
  18. Gene S

Gene S

Nov 8, 2016
    We play 'no stage' fairly often. Makes for a more intimate atmosphere as long as the tvs etc are off - we don't play until they are off. People talk to us and ask about our instruments (we build); connections are made and folks become fans and friends, and look for our upcoming gigs. When it's a smaller gig, this is very nice and we enjoy it a lot. When it's a larger gig, we bring in more folks. Works for us!

taosword, G Aichele and GonePlaid like this.
  19. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    The majority of our gigs have no stage, or at most a 1' high 'platform'. Our clientele are not big drinkers so very few 'drunk' problems. We've taken to stringing an 18' rope light in front of us as both lighting and 'separation'-an idea I picked up here.(they used Christmas lights). Coupla places, we're "in the dark" and real lighting would cost more than we get paid so that ain't hap'nin'. :rollno:

taosword likes this.