1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poll: There is NO STAGE

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mellowinman, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Heck yeah!

84.9%
  2. Heck no!

3.7%
  3. Where the heck is a carrot when I need one?

11.4%
  1. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    THERE IS NO STAGE.

THERE IS ONLY THE STAGE.

THERE IS NO STAGE.

G Aichele and Esteban Garcia like this.
  2. PeteOlig

PeteOlig

May 29, 2007
    I've played venues (with a signed rider attached to the contract) where, upon arrival, the owner told us where the beer cases and plywood was. We had to build our own stage.

GonePlaid likes this.
  3. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Yikes!:jawdrop:

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yikes is right. That sounds outrageous. And a dangerous liability for the venue owner.

GonePlaid likes this.
  5. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Sounds like the owner's the kinda guy who'd say "you built it, it's your problem".:rollno::banghead::thumbsdown:

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Not completely sure, but I *think* the law would say otherwise. :)

7. Josh Prescott

Josh Prescott

Dec 30, 2018
    My favorite thing (in retrospect) that a drunk person did was squeeze up between the monitors and mic stands to talk to the singer, while we were playing, and her hair got caught in the string ends of our guitar player. He got noticeably pissed off, which is totally uncharacteristic for him, yelled at her to get the shag off the stage and pulled is guitar back. After the song was done, he pulled a chunk of hair out of the string ends on his headstock. I think she was drunk enough that she didn't even notice. In addition to all that, her drunk friend was yelling "CCR" the whole night, even after being repeatedly told that we don't do any CCR and that no one should think we do based on the other material that we play.

roccobass and GonePlaid like this.
  8. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    The band I was with in Miami played in a restaurant lounge that had a less than 1' high "stage"(more like a platform-low ceiling). We were all at the front including the drummer. Occasionally a drunk would nearly fall into the kit, but Ken would 'assist' them by poking them them with a (drum)stick. I'd have loved to have seen them next day wondering how they got those bruises.:laugh:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Josh Prescott and Old P Bass Guy like this.
  9. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    I purposely bought a Xvive wireless system for one club in particular on Cape Cod. Nice place near the ocean that gets crazy busy in the summer. The stage is only large enough for the drummer so bass, guitar and vocs stand on the floor; same level as the $hitfaced crowd. Every night drinks are dropped and the floor is sticky with beer and gin and tonics. I got tired of sticky, filthy cables and went wireless. I receive the kit, start the gig and everything is going well... Girls are having fun, singing and my wireless system is perfect for the bar gig. During the second set I am all smiles thinking I found the solution when a drunk girl stumbles forward, trips on the monitor and crashes into my mic- sending the Beta SM 58 into my teeth.
    Ah..... the life of a (Non) Rockstar...
    Screenshot 2019-01-15 11.38.22.

GonePlaid likes this.
    Josh Prescott and GonePlaid like this.
  11. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Been there, done that, except AKG D1000E.

12. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    They almost always come up to the person singing(lead). Even if I'm doing harmony, I'll signal them to wait. If they get pissed, too bad.

Josh Prescott likes this.
  13. Bill G.

Bill G.

Dec 2, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    I've probably played hundreds (if not thousands) of gigs on floors rather than stages. I prefer a stage, but being on the floor really doesn't bother me. What I do hate is when some schmuck wants us to play in direct sunlight! Especially in summer! In south Louisiana! :rollno: Are you kidding me?? I don't like playing outside in general. Another thing I hate, whether it's stage or floor, is putting the band in an area the size of a broom closet. And that's probably most of my current gigs. :(

G Aichele, mikeyjm2 and GonePlaid like this.
  14. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Yup! Same here in s.e. FL. One place we played(restaurant bar area)hated to give up 1 2top next to the guitarist(s)-even tho no one would sit there-so we'd have to do the gig as a trio. And still NO ONE Would Sit There.:banghead: P.S., place is outta bizness. On the outdoor gigs I use my backup bass-not taking my 67 TBird in the heat and humidity.:rollno:

Bill G. likes this.
  15. I've played in all sort of stages and non-stages. The one place I enjoy playing at has us in a corner of the room - he clears a table and moves a barrel for us. The area is next to the main door - I have to put one of my mains on the other side of the door. It's an exceptionally tight squeeze, but it's a fun night. IMG_0153.JPG

GonePlaid likes this.
  16. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    It's(obviously)not up to me to spend your $, but I've been using a 4 ch. passive mixer into one input on a JBL EON ONE, which you can put behind you. And you don't need monitors. You hear what the audience hears. It has 2 inputs. I use the mixer 'cos all 4 of us sing-to varying degrees of ability. Also, it's just one piece to schlep.

Kevorargh likes this.
  17. We don't use monitors in that place - in fact the mains I bring are my monitors (JBL EON 10's)! There's no place to put monitors in that place. I just got a Soundcraft UI-12 which may cut down on some space issues but we'll see. Thanks for the advice!

GonePlaid likes this.
  18. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    One of our guitarists bought 2 of the least expensive Bose's which we can daisy chain. We'll be using that Saturday night-bigger room but we've used the EON there with no problems covering the area. He also had to get their "TonePrint" mixer thingy which added a lot to his final tally.

19. I'm hoping the Soundcraft iPad mixer will do the trick and save some space and hassle for adjusting, but I have to sit and play with it some more.

20. In a blues band I used to play with, we did some jobs with one of our upper Bose sticks and sub...no floors, no other fronts, just one stick.... I was sold.... Not the best sounding, not even close to the warmth of JBLs, but the popcorn munchers don't know the difference between the Bose stick, a JBL PRX system, or a double cheeseburger...

GonePlaid likes this.