Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Polyphony with artificial harmonics

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, last monday my bass teacher taught me about artificial harmonics, and due to a series of events involving drama club, choir, work, 2 psychology projects and a chemistry test, I really haven't gotten the hang of them until tonight. I was originally trying to do it with my thumb, but I just couldn't shift because the side of it kept bumping the fretboard! So I experimented with different wrist angles and finger positions, and settled on putting my index finger on the spot and using my pinky to pluck the string -- thus freeing up my thumb and 3 fingers on my left hand for, say, polyphony. I'm all about the polyphony -- it just sounds so cool. I'm practicing contrapuntal tapping as well (now, I'm not very good at it yet, but it's getting better).

Now, what would be the best way to go about this? I don't use my thumb very often, but I figured if I practiced using the artifical harmonics until I had a certain degree of skill and practicing with my thumb until I had a similar degree of consistency, power, and speed as using my two fingers, then I could slowly work my way into merging the two. Are there any specific exercises you folks might reccomend? Also, any specific tapping exercises? Thanks for the help.

2. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    There was a book published in the late 70's called "Harmonics for Bass" by Adam Novick. He had diagramed 99 open harmonic chords that were best remembered as being played by Jaco Pastorius. It still may be in print.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Oy, I'm gonna cool the polyphony stuff right now. I'm trying to put something together for a Coffee House on Thursday. Note that this will be my first performance (beyond the musical two years ago), and, obviously, my first performance as a solo bassist. But yeah, I'm just gonna concentrate on stuff like that. If any of you folks can help me out on something like that, I'd be obscenely grateful. My MSN is govithoy@hotmail.com , and my AIM handle is Tornus422. But yeah, I'd really appreciate some help with that. I'm gonna call my bass teacher to see if I can have a walk in lesson tomorrow night too, but that's not terribly likely -- still, one can hope. I can put the bass into the mic jack (I love my adapters!) and start a "conversation" so you could hear what I was playing so as to get something down. Anyone volunteer? Pleeeease? I'd give you a cookie, but I don't live near too many folks here.

Thanks there Ninestring...I'll check that out tomorrow. I'm gonna go work on some of that stuff now and go to bed.

4. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    if you can't find the book, i.e. it's out of print,let me know. I have it.

my only suggestions as far as a first solo bass gig is to play what you know and are comfortable playing .Strecth the tunes so it doubles as a practice session for you to get even more comfortable performing solo.Nobody really notices if you play a song for ten minutes.

If possible , bring some sort of audio or video recording device so you can watch/ listen back to your performance and make adjustments for the next solo gig.

Have a great performance!

5. Jmassie

Jmassie

Jan 7, 2008
    Garry, as far as ive checked the book is out of print. is there any way you could put the chord charts up online?