1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poor man's Mesa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by woody357, Sep 26, 2010.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    What is out there when you want that Mesa tone or close to it, but don’t have Mesa money?(head)

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    What Mesa amp tone are you going for?
    (I own a couple different Mesa models that sound completely different from each other)

3. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Fat low end that hits you in the chest. I don't want just bunch like GK, I want the fatness also. I used a Big Block a few weeks ago and was in luv. My cabinet will give me the sound(PS410), and I do like my GK 800rb (old one) but it really doesn't have that fat tone.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I never played any of the solid state powered Mesa's but If you want a fat tone kinda similar to your old V4B (but louder and on a budget), I'd suggest you haul your GK rig to a shop that sells Sansamp VT pedals and try one into your front end first, and then also try it into its Effects Return jack to completely replace the GK's preamp.

5. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    The GK Fusion has a TON of natural low end.

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    Have you thought about buying Mesa....used?

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Doesn't Tech 21 make a character pedal based on Mesa?

That might be one to check out--if it does exist, and works as well as the VT bass, then you'll probably find what you need right there.

edit: looks like they make two, the US Steel, and the California:
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/characterseries.html

8. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I think that is the VT Bass pedal.

9. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    No, the VT bass is modeled after Ampegs... (hence the name VT, as in SVT).

10. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Anything in the L6 XT Live suitable ?

11. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I bet you're one of those people who think you can't use guitar pedals with bass, either.

12. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    The Samsamp are nice, but at the price I could just save my money and get something that will give me the sound I am looking for, thanx for the suggestions though. The GK MB Fusion looks promising, nice price, three tubes in the preamp, and a little more power than I have. I wish I could hear one with the cabinet I want to use it with.

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Most guitar pedals wind up attenuating the low end or screwing it up in some fashion, or emphasize the wrong eq points.

On the upside, that is easy for a good tech to fix. Modding a pedal for bass is not too expensive in most cases.

14. :eyebrow:
    Mighty condescending of you. Your post tells me a lot more about you than my post could ever tell you about me!

Anyway, I was just pointing out that those pedals were not created to replicate a Mesa bass amp.

15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Sorry for that--rereading it, that post comes off a bit snippier than I'd meant to. You're absolutely right that they're not intended to replicate a Mesa bass amp, but they may still give the OP what he's looking for.

On the other hand, I don't know how well the GK Fusion would fix the problem -- I'd imagine that amp (regardless of the presence preamp tubes, which says absolutely nothing about the tone) sounds much different than the Big Block.

16. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

How different are Mesa bass amps from Mesa guitar amps?

Mine was intended as both. Not sure if that means anything.

17. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Randall Amplification.

:bag:

18. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan

My Mesa F-30 guitar head (30w, 2 EL84s) sounds KILLER for bass through my 2x12. It's obviously a bit short on headroom, but the clean and distortion sounds are great and can be very similar to a Bass 400 that I tried a while back.

19. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I mean, obviously my D-180 is no triple rectifier, but it was meant originally for both bass and guitar, and does sound pretty good for guitar. Whether it sounds similar to other Mesa guitar amps, whether its guitar sound is typical for them, I have no idea.

If it is, I can see a Tech 21 character pedal modeled on Mesa guitar amps working quite well for bass.

Also, IIRC, JimmyM sometimes uses their British character series pedal for bass and says it sounds pretty good.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021