Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by my name is mud, Oct 6, 2004.

1. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    Well ive been playing for like a year and still can't get it down!! I have no problems with slapping or normal finger styles but its the poping thats killing me. I get this ulgy buzzing noise when I do it. Like the G string is hitting the frets...Any tips would be very helpfull :smug:
  2. Okay, I'm not going to make a joke about the Pope. :)

Maybe raise your action? But then again, I have my action the very lowest and it has minimal buzzing. You should probably go to a guitar/bass place and have your bass setup. They can adjust the truss rod and stuff to fix the buzzing.

Oh, also make sure you're fretting the string correctly when you pop.
  3. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    think it would cost anything?
  4. yer actions prolly too low. or else yer not even doin it right. but like he said before, make sure u r placing yer finger correctly on the fretboard. maybe u can get sum dude at a guitar shop to show u how to slap and pop correctly or just see wut the problem is.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Isn't that like, the whole idea? :p
  6. First thing I thought about... :p

He's that guy you see at Lambeau Field on Sundays... right?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Again - this shows the limitations of the forum - I would supect that the original poster is just doing something wrong - but without seeing exactly what he's doing, it's basically impossible to diagnose it and we could spend ages discussing it, to no effect!!

Whereas a few minutes with a decent teacher and it could be easily sorted out!! :meh:
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

I spent a long time trying to learn how to slap from text-based internet lessons. I saw my teacher do it and learned in two minutes. Mind, it's been a long road of practicing to become proficient at it, but that's beside the point ;).
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    No. The string should expend enough energy in the initial, violent CLACK! to stop buzzing after that. ...Hey - maybe that's his problem - maybe he's popping too lightly.

I dunno - no, it must involve a setup problem. If I go through a series of pops, popping lighter, lighter, lighter... there's really a very narrow range of 'strengths' that actually make a sort of continuous buzz, and that only on certain frets/strings (hm.. maybe I need a setup).

..But at any rate, Mr. Mud, a pop should generally be implimented as a big'ol violent, fret-wrecking smack. Also, in many cases the 'popper' will make it real sticcato, muting the string in a way that all that comes out is the initail clack.