Popping sound from Gibson sg

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tommygun_ted, Feb 10, 2018.

1. So I have a Gibson sg bass and I've been having some issues. It's very fussy about which patch cords it likes, and I noticed it makes a loud popping sound when I pull it away from my jacket. The sound is quite loud and comes through the amp. The bass makes no other odd sounds though and sounds great. I've looked in the back and the wiring looks clean. Here's a video of the noise.

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Judging by that beard, I’m gonna say it’s your belt buckle.

Tommygun_ted likes this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You have metal buttons on you jacket, if you take the jacket off does it still make that sound?

4. I don' think so. It' at the jam space so I can' try again. However there is an older sg bass there that is very similar to this one, also a Gibson but from the early 90's. 20180210_223735.jpg and it does not pop. Nor do any of my other basses. Could it need some kind of shielding?

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I have no help for you. I don't believe shielding would help in this case, Shielding sends an active signal to ground instead of it going to your pickup. Shielding doesn't stop a signal, it diverts it. In this case it appears that something is setting up within your pickup field and as long as it is stationary no current is generated; when you pull the bass away from your body that 'something' is moving relative to the pickup and generating a pop.

6. Could it be the control cover material? I made a couple of covers out of plastic that must have been mildly conductive or stored up a lot of static or something. I could hear my finger tapping on the control cover through the pickup or the cover moving on my pant leg when I played. Once I figured out what it was, I got different material and made new covers. It’s a long shot but I thought I’d toss it out there.

7. MZo

MZo

Nov 24, 2018
    Hey there. Just picked up an sg bass and experiencing the same thing. No belt bucket etc... it seems to be a static build up, and every time I take it off my body, it pops. Did you ever figure out what the issue was and how to fix it?

8. Nope, wound up returning it

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021