1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Popping sound from my P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsa0100, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I have a 2001 US standard P-bass.
    It has a good sound, but when i play it has a small popping sound.
    It comes when i pick with my fingers, just at impact.
    I am resting my thumb on the pickup, when i play at the neck (i don't prefer this)
    The popping sound disappear. If i uses a compressor some of the popping disappears.
    This is not a problem at all, when i am using my J-bass.
    So can this be related to pickup height, strings etc ?
    Or do i need to change my playing style ?

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Your fingertips are hitting the pole pieces.

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Pickups are too high. Unless your fingers are magnetic they can hit the pickups all day and not make any sound. With the pickups too high you picking up more than You want from your strings (too hot a signal).

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Its a grounding problem.

I have a bass with a similar problem (due to tapewounds), and it was never a problem for me. My friend Joel played it and he was getting these 'pops' whenever he was playing. Thats why the pops go away when he plays by the neck. Nothing for his grubby fingers to poke.:)

5. lowendrob

lowendrob

Sep 10, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    If it is due to your fingers or strings hitting the pole pieces, put electrical tape over them. It worked on my Jazz with no loss of tone or volume.