1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Portable and clean

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loxjet, Apr 3, 2013.

1. loxjet

loxjet

Feb 25, 2013
    Billings MT
    I'm sure this question has been beat to death, and I apologize upfront for the redundancy. I'm not sure how to search through old posts, and I have an old man's aversion to learning how.

I was hoping someone could recommend an amp that is light (sub 50lbs) but is articulate and capable of handling a low B. Loudness/volume is not a priority; quality of sound, reliability and portability is. Is there an amp that would fit this bill for around $500?

Thanks for your input.

2. MB500 and used Acme B2:bassist:

3. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    Does Phil Jones make anything sub $500?

If so, that.

4. My tiny practice amp sounds ok on a low B.

It's highly portable.

I have used it in rehearsals with my 5 string and acoustic guitar and djembe. I did a coffee shop gig with it. Never in a million years would I use it with a full band!

So give some real world requirements please.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You're looking for an all in one combo?

Mesa Walkabout.
    It is a little volume limited, but, it sounds glorious at the levels it's designed for.

6. loxjet

loxjet

Feb 25, 2013
    Billings MT
    Almost all the gigs I play these days send the bass through the front of house. And the band I play in has a horn player (alto, flute, clarinet) a 12-string guitar player, a conga player and me, so the music is subtle and not bombastic. It's on the jazz side but with a lot of three-part harmony vocals. The guitar seems to take up a lot of low end (and not in a tidy way...) and the vocals claim their share, so I'm looking for an amp that would be really articulate but with some hair on it.

I currently play through a GK RB800 I've had since the late eighties and an Ampeg 4x10 which is almost as old. It's heavy, more than I need, and too mushy-- it battles for frequency space with the guitar.

7. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    ampeg BA115 combo? it has a line out for FOH and does what you need for the price you want.

8. loxjet

loxjet

Feb 25, 2013
    Billings MT
    I believe that the Mesa Walkabout was designed for those discriminating players who don't have kids in college. :meh:

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Used GB Shuttle 6.x or GK MB 500/800 plus a good used 210 or 212 from GB, GK, Mesa, Aguilar, Avatar, Ampeg, Eden, Markbass, Bergantino, Epifani, etc.....

~$800 total max.

10. Sounds like a cool band to be in. Is that a four piece? No reason for the band sound to be anything but great if you can get the guitar player to get out of your bass space.

Any little combo amp with a good DI sound should be totally fine.

11. Even if you kept the GK and got a new cab it would save your back. The tone problem isn't your amp.

12. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I think the Bass Cub is just over the $500 mark, but you could easily find a used Briefcase or Cub for under. Don't know how small the amp can be for the OP's needs, but the Double Four is shipping really soon (as in, hopefully a week or so) and that will be under the $500 mark. All three amps listed are also under the 50lb limit as well.