1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Portable upgrade advice from Ampeg B2RE head + 2 cab setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mi-fletcher, Jul 20, 2012.

1. mi-fletcher

mi-fletcher

Apr 16, 2009
    UK
    Hi all,

I currently own an Ampeg B2RE head (450W@4ohm, 250W@8ohm), SVT-410HE cab & SVT-15E cab.

I'm really happy with the head in general & if I could lug both cabs everywhere, this post wouldn't exist. Unfortunately, we only have space for 1 cab & either cab struggles in rehearsals & small gigs... we play alt-rock very loudly.

Essential is a 1 head, 1 cab setup that can be whipped about & comfortably keeps up with TreeBeard on drums & "I'm only on vol 3!" on guitar.

I have £600 to spend right now ($900) or could save £1500 within 6months. I'd like to make sensible use of my existing gear or a future-proof investment.

I've considered:

- the SVT-7 Pro driving my 410HE - wary of blowing the cab drivers & head cutout tales scare my big muff quite a bit.

- SVT410HLF 4ohm cab - would see me through til SVT-VR land, but 50KG/110lbs is a beast & boomy would make me cry blood.

- Ashdown 4x10 4ohm cab - I've known 2 people who've blown Ashdown drivers with moderate use... convince me!

- Orange Tiny Terror Bass - oodles of power, impressively so, but it's really 'uncontrolled'.

- Orange isobaric cabs - quite like the tone with an Ampeg head, think 2lots of the 2x12s would about keep up, don't think that'd be wise at all.

What would you do?

Thanks, Mark

2. If you like the sound of your head why change it? More power into a single cab isnt the answer if you are already reaching those single cab's limits.

I think you are in the UK? Check out a Barefaced Big Twin. One cab and be done with it. Will be way lighter than a 410HLF and will blow it out of the water as far as volume potential.

3. mi-fletcher

mi-fletcher

Apr 16, 2009
    UK
    Cheers for that, yes I'm UK.

With a 4ohm cab moving enough air, I think my head would be fine... I'll be keeping it whatever happens!

Barefaced seem like a decent contender... I'll certainly do some digging. Have you had experience with them?

(610's/215's will be too tall for the plan, the Super Twelve might just fit!)

4. I have not played a Barefaced cab. I do own two fEARfuls, and I know there has been more than a little discussion between greenboy and Alex. Looking at Alex's designs and the information he freely provides (which commercial cab manufacturers do not), combined with my experience with cabs using similar designs leads me to recommend them. If I was in the UK I would have no reservations buying one.

The other thing is that Big Twin will kick a commercial 610 or 215 to the curb as far as volume potential goes.

5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Hmmm, I just put a b2re on hold at a local shop and am planning on picking up a Henry the 8x8 cab for my loud nu-metal needs. It is hard for me to imagine something louder than the 2x15 Trace rig a friend just bought (in that configuration range, that is) but the Henry should give me the cut-thru I am looking for.

It seems that your ideal setup is going to be two cabs, albiet more compact/lightweight than a typical 4x10. Perhaps the fEARfuls?

Raz