1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Position of bowing arm

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, May 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Hi all

in relation to playing in the higher register (thumb position) is there anything specific that changes in relation to the bowing arm? In particular, hand and elbow.
    I am noticing some discomfort (r/h, French) on the upper forearm, just below the elbow.
    I am guessing most likely from overuse of the tendon? and possibly some incorrect technique, hence this SOS..

Thank you

2. Hi Andy, it shouldn't be different. I cannot recreate the discomfort you are feeling. Could be OOS (occupational overuse syndrome) or too much tension in the bow hold and/or wrist. With your bow hold is your right thumb bent or curved, ie are you using the tip of your thumb or the pad opposite your other fingers? Is your wrist pronating a lot? Sounds more like you could do with some stretches if you are doing lots of practice. I will make a pdf of a sheet of stretches for musicians and pm them to you. Soon,not now, as I am expecting a student to arrive shortly.
    Cheers,DP

3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks David.

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    You might want to get a lesson with a good French bow teacher. I can trace my current case of tennis elbow to incorrect technique 30 years ago. It's why I switched to German bow.