1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possible Lado Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jjdhawg, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Supporting Member

May 22, 2015
    Halifax NS Canada
    Hey folks, looking for some opinions here. I have the potential chance to trade a '03 Gibson SG Std. for a 70's Lado bass. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it's close enough I will be able to if we decide to meet up. I'm finding it very hard to get much information via google and I'm wondering if anyone would care to weigh in?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] _27%207_zpsndalf9wh. _27%206_zpsfhxud8nz. _27%205_zpsrza3tjqv.

Lumdingo and Dave Neal like this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Make sure you wear a weight lifting belt. The Lados I have seen were crazy heavy, 12+ pounder 4-strings. They were nice basses, the guy is (or was) based out of Ontario, I want to say he was right in Taranta (Toronto) but I may be wrong.

Lumdingo and Jjdhawg like this.
  3. Jjdhawg

May 22, 2015
    Halifax NS Canada
    Have you played any with those pups in them? Curious as to what they sound closest to, to you?

gelinas666 likes this.
  4. Jjdhawg

May 22, 2015
    Halifax NS Canada
    Yeah theres a few different shapes I've managed to find so far(that spector shape being one of them). Having a hard time finding anything related to value or any video clips. I hope the dude wants to meet up sooner than later I can't wait to try the thing out!

5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    RSBBass, Oddly and Jjdhawg like this.
  6. Squittolo

Squittolo

May 13, 2011
    Italy
    Is it the same Lado that provided (back in the 80's) to make some custom signature basses/guitars for Iron Maiden? I've found this info reading the cd booklet of Live After Death.

Loring and Dave Neal like this.
  7. Jjdhawg

May 22, 2015
    Halifax NS Canada
    Yup. Same Lado.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It's been a few years since I have even seen a Lado, I cannot really remember what electronics were in either one.

Jjdhawg likes this.
  9. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Used to be in the Toronto area, but now out by Peterborough IIRC. Yes, he built some instruments for Maiden before the whole band signed with Fender... there's a famous shot of Steve Harris with his metallic blue Lado, which had a slightly Alembic thing going on, which carried through on a lot of the instruments.

I've had two Lado's in my hands... both extremely well made neck throughs, but styling and weight just aren't up my alley.

Jjdhawg likes this.
  10. Killer Canary

Killer Canary Guest

Aug 27, 2015
    I remember seeing so many Canadian bands playing Lados in the 80s and then they just seem to have faded out.
    Honeymoon Suite, Toronto, Headpins etc.
    I'd sure love to try one out some day.

Jjdhawg likes this.
  11. Killer Canary

Killer Canary Guest

Aug 27, 2015
    Those Dwarfs vids were always so damned entertaining.:)

12. DOMIT

DOMIT

Feb 16, 2016
    I know absolutely NOTHING about those, but it looks sweet! Alembic-ish in a way.

gary m and Jjdhawg like this.
  13. D'marzio High OutPut Bass Pickups..(Super Distortion's but for Bass).. Limited run... I have a LADO "Falcon" for sale on Kijiji up here in Toronto,Ontario, Canada from the late 70's...

Jjdhawg likes this.
  14. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    lados are real nice I have a 1980 hawk. they are heavy but worth it. I would do the trade, talked to joe 2 weeks ago real nice guy he is retired now.

Jjdhawg likes this.
  15. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I had a fretless Lado 5 string a few years back, weighed a ton.

Jjdhawg likes this.
  16. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I remember seeing a lot of them in the area. I'm just trying to imagine what this double neck weighs....

oaomjpqeydj6cd7tx35t. rotmrw38mtdfjcer8gpg.

17. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Harris had a Lado but remember he did not play it very long. Before long he went back to his P bass.

steve_harris_guitar1.

Jjdhawg likes this.
  18. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    steve08.

Jjdhawg likes this.
  19. Jjdhawg

May 22, 2015
    Halifax NS Canada
    The gentleman hasn't responded since I've started this thread. I'm thinking he's lost interest in the trade, hopefully not. I'm thinking he was only interested in the SG since locally he can get a bit more than he wanted for the Lado to begin with and they're typically an easy sell. Maybe someone showed up with cash in hand. Oh well at least I've acquired a nice bout of g.a.s. for an Alembic-esq neck through...my wife will be thrilled to hear it!

20. Jjdhawg

May 22, 2015
    Halifax NS Canada
    Just...wow..lol

NealBass likes this.