1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possible The Smiths bass TAB book

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by daniel88, May 24, 2012.

1. daniel88

daniel88

May 24, 2012
    Hi everyone.

I'm currently working on a music book, transcribing Andy Rourke's (of The Smiths) bass lines from the debut Smiths album. I'm not too far off completing my final first manuscript, but now I need to get 'the market research' side of things done.

I've attached a URL for an online questionnaire aimed at musicians at (and being a bass book ideally bassists). If any interested using this forum could fill it in, you'd really be helping me out. As an added incentive, you could win a Fender Performance Series Instrument Cable.

Your help could make the difference to getting this published so thank you in advance.
    If you have any questions on the subject, please feel free to email me at: dm239@sussex.ac.uk

Thank you again,
    Daniel.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H2KS568

2. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Great Band, some cool bass lines. Good luck with the book.

3. Good luck man. I love Andy's lines. Me and my friends from Cliffside Park NJ were huge Smiths fans all through high school. I lost touch with my buddy Oleg for a few years and the next time I spoke to him he was living in Brooklyn with Andy Rourke doing a project called Jetlag. I actually didnt believe him until I stepped foot in thier apt./work space. Crazy small world stuff. Anyhow, great bass player and great dude. His lines deserve to be studied and played by others. Who knows, they might end up in a band with him

4. tomdarch

tomdarch

May 28, 2012
    Good luck! I'm definitely interested!

It's interesting that in your survey, you ask about "do sheet music books include enough theory?" Something that would tip me in favor of buying a book over cobbling together tab from online sources would be content like theory analysis. Marr created some musically astounding compositions, and I would love to know more on the theory-side of how the bass parts work with the guitar and the rest of the music. The sheet music covers the "what" of the music, some analysis of how the bass and guitar work together would be some very valuable "why", and info on Andy' gear and how to get that studio and live tone would be some great "how" info.

5. ceremony74

ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    Any update on this book project?

mattpnolan likes this.