Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possibly a chance of a lifetime

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassMus1k, Jun 1, 2004.

1. BassMus1k

BassMus1k

Apr 1, 2004
    okay i was looking for some insight on a perosn i am possibly looking at getting some lessons from. his name is ken clowers and he played in the canadian orchestra i was alos told he as connections with the band weather report which i would be surprised about. but none the less i was told that he is supposed to be extremely good and well known so i figured i would check here and see if any of you have heard of him? any resonse would be appreciated

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Have never heard of him - checked Brian Glasser's biography of Zawinul - no mention there either. A Google search for "Ken Clowers" didn't throw up anything music-related.

Let us know if you find out anything more.

3. Unless the lessons are outrageously expensive, why not take the opportunity if you think you can learn something from him?

4. To me it makes no difference if he's a 'name' type player or not. Being well known or a great player doesn't necessarily translate into the ability to be a good teacher.

I've taken lessons from some 'big names' who couldn't ( at least for me ) teach their way into a paper bag yet alone out of one. Other 'name' players I've had lessons with, such as Gary Willis, were wonderful to learn from.

Don't be overawed by the who this person is. Setup some lessons and if it works for you then great, but don't be afraid to bail if it ain't happenin'.

My opinion only, of course... YMMV.

Peace,
    John