1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

possibly the worst scam artist ever

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmercer91, Mar 16, 2010.

1. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/1647346037.html

1970's Rickenbacker Bass - $1800 (bergen county)

This bass is all original. Is in amazing condition , sounds spectacular and is one of my prized basses but I must part with this bass only because I have two of them and no longer need two.
    The price is pretty firm at 1800$ cash I would only knock off maybe 100 bucks off the prize if need be but this bass is worth every single freaken penny.
    Email me if your interested.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

it totally says ibanez on the headstock.

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I've seen worse ads, you might remember the dude that was selling a fender neck for $1000. AT least this looks like a complete instrument and just because the dude sounds a little full of himself doesn't make this deal a scam. I'm not into Ricks or vintage instruments, but I have seen worse.......:cool:

3. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I take it you missed the "Honer" brand truss rod cover?

4. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    if he was a scam artist, he would have tried to make it pass as a rick. he is just delusional

5. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I take you missed the "Ibanez" brand on the truss rod cover?
    ;)

6. TonyRockyHorror

TonyRockyHorror

Nov 25, 2009
  7. he totally did. it's listed as a rickenbacker bass.

8. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    Touché

9. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    well looked like he fixed it. still wants $1800 though

10. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Sadly, "Ibanezenbackers" are commanding pretty good prices as they are "vintage copies". Why not just buy a real Ric?

For what it's worth, however, my Ibanez Roadstar P-bass copy that I got for $75 totally kicks!

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    $1800 is 3 times what it is worth

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The word is spelled "Hohner". Or 'Hofner". I really don't know, because it's an Ibanez.......:D

Best thread ever!

13. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    It's a pretty minor misdeed. I see "Fender" basses listed on eBay all the time that are actually some other brand (in the case of Squiers, it's even debatably accurate). When all but the dumbest buyers can readily tell it's not a "real" Rick, it's technically still fraudulent but pretty low-grade fraud as fraud goes.

14. It is a technically fraudulent ad. The seller may not be intentionally attempting to scam but instead knows little about basses and refuses to do the research. Anyone tries to disprove his belief he will debate that person without end refusing any viable proof. Beside a logical person willing to spend $1800 on a used Rickenbacker bass should recognize the real deal from a fake, if the potential buyer is not aware then I doubt the person has $1800 to spend :p . This seller is a waste of time.

15. Hi.

An exellent bass no doubt, but the price is "a bit" high. If He has rephrased the ad, everything is sort of all right. It'll never sell for that much, but You can't really blame him for lack of trying ;).

Two different brands, not a variation of spelling.

Regards
    Sam

16. I think danomite64's point is that *honer* is apparently a misspelling of either Hohner or Hofner. Probably not of Ibanez, though.
    On topic, I'd love a nice old lawsuit Ibanbacker, but I would not pay more than 1/4 of that price.

17. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  18. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd still try and snag it! Probably worth $500-800 Those are rare as heck! And honestly, those humbuckers SING! I put flatwounds on mine, it's a real fantastic, vintage sounding bass.

I got mine from a dude off CL for only $275. It was covered in vinyl stripes, but when I got her home, I gave her some tender care and now she's a beauty.

DSCN0022.gif

19. This one isn't even a good copy. The pickups are wrong and it's a bolt-on/glue-on.

20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Just trying to help, but I do believe that it says Ibanez.

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020