1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post your favorite new Funk Rock Bands!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Grapevine921, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Grapevine921

Grapevine921

Feb 8, 2011
    Where's all the new funk rock?

The 90's were filled with heavy rock bands with killer bassists coated in P-funk influence:

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Primus, Incubus, Rage Against the Machine, Living Colour

Where are all the new bands to take the reins?

There is no doubt a killer new wave of bass players (Thundercat, Michael League, Mononeon, Joe Dart), but they take a lot from the jazz/soul camp. Are there any new bands out there that straddle the line between funk and rock? Where are all the rock bands that listen to Parliament?

2. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Infectious Grooves! Love these guys!

Not too much that is really new however that really jumps out to me. It's hard to think of any new bands that are carrying the torch.

3. Not new but you missed FISHBONE.

Grapevine921 likes this.
  4. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    FISHBONE!!!!!!!:bassist::hyper:

brokenstoned and 5StringBlues like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

5StringBlues likes this.
  6. JRA likes this.
  7. Grapevine921

Grapevine921

Feb 8, 2011
    I love Fishbone! especially Bonin' in the Boneyard and their cover of Shakey Ground. Not a new band, but one that certainly deserves recognition!

JRA likes this.
  8. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Not new but probably my favorite LA funk/rock/art band from that time. Much in the way Snarky Puppy is a collective of musicians so was WOC. Lonnie was/is a beast!

jerry likes this.
  9. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    A current band albeit on the more funk side of things. There is plenty of rock in their bag, Ivan is one of my favorite rock singers today.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    First band I thought of when I saw this thread.

11. Fans of funk rock may be interested in this Funk Rock playlist. Not every song is, strictly speaking, funk rock, but I figure if I like it and I'm a funk rock fan, others will too. 147 songs and growing, with not a whole lot of artist repetition.