1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pot Dust Issue - Ashdown EVO II 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paul_Bruno, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Paul_Bruno

Paul_Bruno

Jan 15, 2010
    Hi, I have an Ashdown EVO II 500 combo amp which has recently started to make a slight crackle when turning the input or output knobs. I think I have some dust in the pots (having read similar complaints on the Internet), but do not have a clue how to start cleaning them.

I'm not familiar with the various types of cleaning products, or how I would even go about trying to access the pots without taking apart the amp, which I ain't comfortable doing.

Anyone got any suggestions on how best to get this sorted, before it worsen.

Thanks

Paul B

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    "De-Oxit" brand potentiometer cleaner. Other stuff labeled "tuner control" cleaner or "fader lube" also works well. Steer clear of stuff simply labeled "contact cleaner". That may be ok for switches and jacks but can damage pots. I like the stuff that has just a little bit of oil mixed in.

It comes in a spray can with a straw. Spray it in the pots. Take the cover off the amp so you can spray it directly in the pots from the back side. Then turn the pot all the way left and right several times to work it all around.

Let the thing sit for a while so that stuff evaporates before you plug it in and power it up again. Doesn't hurt to work all the knobs again after it's evaporated either.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ignore the writing on the front of the can. Read the fine print on the back. Make sure it's safe for use on potentiometers and faders, like on mixing boards.

4. eee

eee

Jan 17, 2009
    "pot dust", hahaha

Sorry, nothing legitimate to add.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    How in the hell did I miss that?........I'm so dense...

6. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Make sure you are using the version for faders and pots.

7. Yep, my first thought was stop rolling doobies on your amp.

8. Paul_Bruno

Paul_Bruno

Jan 15, 2010
    Hahaha like it. Did not have that in mind when I wrote the thread, but now you mention it. May also help improve my timing too if I steer clear of the 'doobies'

Thanks Will for your advice.