Pot value question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by llomens, Sep 26, 2003.

1. llomens

Sep 25, 2003
    Ok I searched but didn't find a sufficent answer.

I have a P/J setup (both pickups are humbucking) I'm putting in 2 vol and 2 tone plus a master bass tone pot(rolls off the bass rather than the treb). I was wondering what value pots I should use? Most basses use 250k for everything. I've rarely seen anything else used on bass. Any suggestions?

I play hard rock, punk, and rockabilly. I love that deep p bass sound but also need that jazz tone too.
  2. You will likely need a new set of 250K Pots and a appropriate tone capacitor (.05 mfd) will also be needed.

;) Treena
  3. llomens

Sep 25, 2003
    Using 500k pots would give me a darker less trebly tone correct?
  4. The other way around.
    500k pots will allow more upper clarity(less loading from the pickups)especially if you have a
    humbucking pickup in the mix.
    I'd also switch the tone cap to a .033(sometimes even a .027)for a more usable tone instead of the
    muddiness brought on with a .05(aka .047) IMHO.
  5. llomens

Sep 25, 2003
    Ya know I knew that. I just had a momentary brain fart. Don't you hate that?
  6. soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Hey guys. Please excuse my inexperience, I'm just getting into working on my bass myself, luthiers change too much around here....

How can a volume or tone pot change the intonation of an instrument? Can somebody explain this or direct me to a resource?

What does the capacitor do, and what kinds are available? :confused:

7. Potentiometer value doesn't have anything to do
    with intonation.You'd adjust the intonation with
    the bridge saddles.
    As for caps,you can polyester types.I don't
    normally use anything greater than .o33uf in value
    ,sometimes even .015uf or .022uf(just enough to
    retain some clarity while rounding over the tone
    a bit).
  8. You want to know what capacitors do?

I'll send you an email or PM tomorrow some time.

9. How does a Capacitor Work?

10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    In a passive tone circuit, the capacitor alters the transfer characteristic of the pickup by changing its resonant frequency.

The higher the value you use, the "bassier" the sound will be with the control rolled off, IIRC.

Typical values for bass range from 10 nf to 470 nf.

As for types, you have electrolytic (the cylindrical-shaped ones) and ceramic disk (the disk-shaped). Ceramics are more commonly used for instruments.

The percentage value on a capacitor indicates how much it can vary from its given capacitance. Thus, a lower percentage value indicates better quality.
  11. soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    wow! i didn't think this can affect the tone! thanks for the info and the links. :p
  12. http://www.guitarelectronics.com/diagrams.html

is a good resource.

Capacitors effect frequencies. The smaller the value, say 22 Pico Farads... thats like 0.000000000022 of a Farad or close enough... will only pass or knock out certain frequencies. Of such a small value, you get into the treble regions. If you go higher, say 1 micro farad, you get more bassy etc.

Thats real lamens terms and i am not doing capacitors justice. But if you want cap theory.. type that into google: How do Capacitors work?

I hope you like reading though. ;)