1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j_micho, Oct 1, 2009.

1. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sure, but buy two of that one so you can swap it out when it blows up.:spit:

"real" power amps absolutely work great for bass, but you can buy good ones like QSC RMX amps for not much more than the b****r, and actually be able to fix them over the years.

you're in canada, look at yorkville.

2. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    It's a wonder anyone buys those expensive amps what with others being so much less and all............................

3. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I think some people just think "oh I play bass, I have to get a bass power amp."

I used to use a QSC RMX series power amp in the past with great success, and now I use a QSC PLX2 series power amp.

4. +1

They are just audio amplifiers made for amplifying an audio signal. They just have no bells and whistles, so you'll need a pre-amp to clean things up before feeding into the power amp to get amplified.

5. Bollocks! The Behringer EP range is well respect in professional sound reinforcement. In fact, the design is very similar, bordering on identical, to the QSC RMX. IIRC EP has bigger caps, RMX has bigger toroid. Both are made in China. Why is the EP harder to repair?

6. bertbassplayer

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I dunno, but I'd tend to trust a company that's going to give a 6 year warranty (QSC) vs a company that'll only give a 1 year warranty (Behringer).

7. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    RMX is made in USA, at least the last one I looked at was.

8. Warranty good, though neither amp is likely to fail, so kinda moot. Bob Lee's help on TB is something to consider as well. As is the more prestigious name plate. Just don't avoid the Behringer, because it's a bad amp; it isn't.

9. bertbassplayer

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I think they are made in China now.

10. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I believe the GX amps are, but the RMX and PLX2 series are USA.

11. The sticker on the back of my RMX, says "Made in China."

12. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Really! The RMX I used to own was US, and the PLX2 that I own now is US. Who knew?

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Behringer's pro audio stuff is almost uniformly pretty decent. The only reason to avoid them is business practices, really, as even their support is not too bad for a budget company.

14. Kmose

Kmose

Feb 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Lakland, Aguilar
    years ago when I switched from an old QSC power amp to a SWR stereo 800, I was amazed how much better it sounded with my alembic f1x preamp. I know a power amp isn't supposed to make that big of difference, but to my ear it did!

15. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    Would the GT6-B before the power amp be sufficent here ?

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    A "Bass Power Amp"?

Generally however it's with power amps as it is with soo many other things...
    You get what you pay for.
    They do sound different.

17. I doubt it. If it's anything like the GT-8 for guitar, its probably not quite there.

They are a great multi effects board, for sure. But to run it as your sole preamp into a power amp :meh: I wouldn't count on it.

Then again, I haven't tried it, so I can't be sure.

I own the ME-50B and I know that wouldn't be sufficient, and I've only tried a friends GT-8.

With that said, if you have the GT-6B and then buy a power amp - you will be able to see for yourself. If it doesn't work, just get a decent Preamp as well. The GT-6B won't be obsolete, it will still do what it does best.

18. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Germany
    The best "Power-Amp" I ever tried is the ALTO D3. Absolutely neutral in tone, but a lot solid power!

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    for me it's bryston 7bsst, chordelectronics spa2232, krell, and a couple others that have been out standing .
    There's quite a few good makers out there I think.