1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Amps and Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pacodelivery, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    Has anyone noticed drastically different results specifically with fuzz into a tube power section as oppose to a solid state one?

The experience that led me to this question:

So I recently had a fuse blow on my Traynor yba-200 (all tube), and had to figure out something quick to play a show that weekend.

I ended up spending some time with a Yamaha PA (a EMX 212s), and was able to get a pretty damn good approximation of my clean tone. Most of my sounds worked in basically the same way, too. (My butler bass driver was really helpful, I dialed back the gain and made it always on.)

Everything EXCEPT my fuzz, however, a stomp under foot civil war. Through the PA there's this certain crappy quality to the sound, especially in the top end, it lacked a certain life and liveliness, and it distorts more and in a really ugly way. It's more two dimensional, where it usually has this beautifully deep complexity to it, almost like a horn.

With my Traynor I can, for instance, kick on fuzz and play a major triad up the neck, but with the pa it's impossibly muddy.

Honestly if it weren't for the problems with fuzz, I'd almost consider selling my Traynor and just running the pa, it's easier for sure and it has some onboard fx I can mess with. But that civil war is such a huge part of my sound.

My chain:

Custom Tbird with wilkinson humbuckers > Aguilar tlc > suf civil war > butler bass driver > Aguilar Octa > Fairfield bs > fuzzrocious demon > Ernie ball VP > EHX deluxe memory boy > MXR 10 band

2. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    I agree that PAs can deliver a great clean sound but suck with fuzz. Now, if you can find some cab simulator to put between this PA and your pedal board, you should be able to get the best of both world.
    You have to trick the PA into behaving more like a bass/guitar cabinet with the top end rolled off.

Pacodelivery likes this.