Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ilfretless, Oct 11, 2003.

1. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    I am soundproofing a garage and the idea is to play there with my group. My problem is that i have a 20W amplifier and I don't want to buy an other one because I have no money, is my amp enough? we usually play very softly and the garage is like 14 square metres (5.75x2.40)
  2. If you hear banging on your door, the amp's loud enough. If the only banging you hear is your drummer, you need a bigger amp :rolleyes:
  3. Right, I suppose I need to get this out of the way:

What kind of music do you play?
    How many guitarists are in your band, how loud are their amps?
    How loud is the PA/The singer?
    How loud is your drummer?

Even without all that info, you can generally say that a 20watt combo is not powerful for anything but bedroom practice.

I use a 100watt Fender Bassman head for band practices, and that's grossly underpowered.
  4. I did the same with a 4 piece rock band.

Get a bigger amp!

5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    My rig is 4800w. You should never fear any drummer or ****** player is my mantra.

6. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    since you don't have any money for something else, try placing your 20W amp up high. This way you'll have a more direct line of sound, at least until you can afford a larger amp. If you have a PA for your band use that for your rig.
  7. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    1st: what is a PA?
    then: we actually don't have a guitarist but we're thinking of getting one, but he would never use distortion
    my drummer plays very softly, jazz-like
    the kind of music we play is strange: usually I say ska/jazz/swing, say like skatalites or goodfellas(I don't think you know this ones)
    we have a female singer, piano, trumpet, sax.
    usually we play at a volume that lets sax and trumpet play with no microphone
    SO I don't think we play loud, actually our sound is very soft, this is the reason why I want to try to use my amp. the last thing, our garage is very small(6 metres X 2.5 metres)
  8. HAHHAHA! mike that is a great mantra imma put that in my signature if you don't mind, a tribute to my sponser.
  9. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    You are joking right? PA, Public Address, you Mics, mixers, amps, speakers and such. Unless your singer has one hell of a loud voice, (louder than the drummer) and can do so all nite, you need some reinforcement. Sounds like you don't have any kind of PA, you should though, for the vocals and hey you could run your bass through it and not have to buy a new amp, yet.
  10. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    He may not be joking - he is in Italy - maybe Pas are called something else there...

11. Maybe not, some of these Italian singers have got the ability to shake windows with their vocal onslaughts ( Pavaroti, Mario Lanza etc.)
    Also, If they are only going to be playing coffee houses and pizza parlours, then they would probably lose their gig if the locals can't hear themselves talking. I imagine the culture in Italy is very different from what we are used to.
  12. My rigs 850, so if my cab doesn't mind a beating, it can go the distance. And then some:D ;)

They call them Tannoys, because these speakers were the first to hit the commercial market in Italy. I toured Italy and believe me, this is a language thing!

14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Hahahahaha... Man, 20 watts aint gonna cut it in a band... Unless your guitarist has like a 5 or 10 watt amp... No, a 20 watt amp couldn't even be heard over a drumset probably, well not good...
    Do you not have enough money because you don't want to buy another one, or do you just not have a lot of money... Could your parents pitch anything in??
  15. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    PA was a language problem: in Italy we call it a mixer
    Anyway culture in Italy is not that different, i've lived in England and in the States and there it's not so different.
    Actually we're going to have a PA in our garage, how do I connect to it?
    actually I just don't want to spend so much money now, i will be able to do so maybe in two months
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk the minimum wattage you should have on an amp in that situation is 75 watts, if you are going un aided ie: mics or whathaveyou.

I use a 100 watt Ampeg and its enough for what we do. Ie: small gigs if any.
  17. i played with a 100W Yorkeville combo for a few years till i decided to upgrade.

I play a Mesa 400+ and a BagEnd Q10BX-D. that 360W of tube power cuts through 2 guitars and a drumemr like there's no tomorrow.

i can tell you right now... go and drop $300 on a new amp. 20W of Bass = about 5 Watts of Guitar.

Don't forget... you have more than just a guitarist to compete with. For a sax to actually put out sound...you gotta move at least SOME air. I'd be suprised if you could hear any bass at all with all the other instruments playing.
  18. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    I don't know, still we have NO guitar as I keep saying, anyway I found a friend that will give me his old amp, 100W but really destroyed and I think I will use that until I will be able to buy a good one
    I want to thank you all for your help:)

Oct 13, 2003
  20. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    This is good advice.

I would also recommend looking for something bigger though. Most 20w amps are not loud enough to play with a drummer.

I have played with my Fender Bassman 25. But in that case, the drummer was playing softer to accomidate me.

Usually around 100 watts into a single 15" speaker is good for practice in a garage. If you buy one used, it may not be very expensive.