powered cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstrader, Jan 6, 2005.

1. OK, I've searched th eforum and haven't found anything specifically about powered cabinets, except for some references to the powered Wizzy cabinet from EA. so what other powered speakers are out there, and what kind of DI/Preamp thing would I need to drive it? I'm thinking of the kind of preamp like a sansamp stop box etc.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Crate and Peavey used to make some...don't know who does presently.
  3. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Are you referring to powered PA speakers? If so, just about any old DI will work.
  4. Crate :spit: Never had a good experience with them.

Peavey. I checked their site but no powered bass cabs to be found.

Tech Soundsystems (Europe) has some but I imagine they are expensive and hard to find in this country.

How about a PA speaker? Mackie? I know that's been discussed before, but since I like the hifi (read flat response) thing they might be a worthwhile option.
  5. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    JBL EON's, Yorkville NX550p's, Mackie's, all will work. What are you planning on using this for? Are you looking to used this as a dedicated bass amp?
  6. Yes dedicated bass amp. initially just a stage monitor, but it might turn in to some bigger gigs.
  7. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    I use powered Meyer Sound PA cabinets! There is nothing on the market that even comes close to them!
  8. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I use a JBL EON to power my keys, guitar and bass in my little practice space. It works fantastically for that and, every now and then, I think about going just with that as my bass rig. Then, I play through my real rig and the idea quickly vanishes. There's a lot more uhmph through the bass amp and you'll never get the same punch or thump unless you throw a powered sub and a pre into the equation. Really good, light solution if you don't need to put holes in the wall. Just grab a powered speaker, an inexpensive direct box, a few cables and you're good to go!
  9. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Euphonic has the powered Wizzy. EBS has a couple of powered cabs for bass as well. Acoustic's old 360 was a powered cab with 1-18".

You can run a preamp through them. EBS has a great (expensive) floor preamp. You can also run SABDDI, Sadowsky, Fodera, MXR, Avalon, etc preamp's through them.