Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powered Snake Question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Here is a link to a snake I am considering buying to go with our new powered Yamaha mixer...We have two mains and two monitors on two different sides of the Yamaha, but the speaker outs are both speakon...will the Whirlwind Medusa Powered Snake work for us? (see link below) I would like to save some money and clutter on multiple long speakers cables.

What is the difference between the 4 speaker outs and the 4 TRS returns? Anything else I need to consider here? Thanks

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/power01.html

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    yes, that should work just fine.
    the speaker outs are sending a load from the yamaha power amp section of the mixer to your passive speakers. The TRS outs are (balanced)line level signals to be sent to a power amps for your monitor mixes as one example. You can do whatever you'd like with those return signals really.

hope that helped.

3. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    What about the fact that the Yamaha only has speakon outs for the mains/monitors? What is the difference between the powered speaker returns and the TRS 1/4 returns? I can't run a passive monitor with the TRS returns can I?

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    if your main speakers only have 1/4 inputs, then you can use a cable that has a speakon on one end (from the stage box) to a 1/4 end to go to the speakers. This snake is designed with the speaker wires going thru the snake and terminating at the stage box with a speakon connector...it runs with the rest of the mic/line signals, including the TRS returns.

The 1/4 TRS returns are a balanced line level (not speaker) signal return to stage(from AUX). This would need to go to a power amp input, then speaker out from the amp to passive monitors. So no, you can not run passive speakers thru the TRS outs without going thru a amp first.

5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    OK cool...one last thought...the speaker power cables on the snake are 1/4 inputs, right? But the speaker outputs from my mixer are speakon only...

6. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Use a speaker cable with a speakon at one end and 1/4" at the other. Our mixer is speakon only and our mains only have 1/4". I cut the speakon connector off one end and soldered on a 1/4".

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Are you sure there aren't also 1/4 outs? My emx-5000/12 has speakon AND 1/4.