Powering 2 Bergi 112's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Mar 15, 2004.

1. iAmp600

3 vote(s)
  2. F1-X / DPC 1400X

4 vote(s)
  3. F1-X / QSC PLX1202

5 vote(s)
  1. Which do you think would sound and work the best with a combination of Bergantino Ht112-EX112. iAmp600 , F1-X-DCP1400X or F1-X - QSC PLX 1202
  2. i voted for the DPC 1400x because i'm partial to it -- i work for peavey, and i'd rather have a 1U amp than a 2U amp if i can work it. plus, i honestly think the stewart 1.2 doesn't live up to the DPC in power output.

i think you'll appreciate the extra power over the iAmp 600. if i had my druthers, i'd put 700W to each cabinet, just for the headrom. i'm sure they can take it. i would prefer at least 500W each, if nothing else. i have considered getting the iAmp 800 to power 1 HT-112.

heck, why not get the new peavey Pro1600 head and bi-amp with 1200W going the the EX and 400W going to the HT?

overkill? nah. :bassist:

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    700 watts RMS into a 112? If you were actually dissipating that much power in those little Bergies the cones would fly through the grill right before they vaporized. Having the headroom is one thing but using it is different.

If I had the choice i would pick the iamp just for the simplicity of having one unit. Im sure they all have adequate headroom. Unfortunately I cant comment on how those amps would sound b/c Ive never heard the F1X or the iamp.

4. Other than the 2U difference between the Peavey and the PLX, can you think of any other advantages the DPC1400x may have over the PLX1202?
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anything iAMP...

IMHO, berg cabs and EA amps go together like butter and cinnamon toast. :D just ask Chris Fritzgerald.

but i think you mean iAMP-500. which is very lightweight and small. a much nicer setup to gig around with.

the F-1X might be a little too tubey, and mushy mouthed sounding. not quite as articulate as i wished it would be. if you're going the preamp / power amp route, a Demeter VTBP-201s would be a killer match with the Bergs.
  6. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ill second joker on the Demeter VTBP-201s pre with Berg cabs! Pure sweetness...
  7. I mean iAmp 600 (it's used). I can get the iAmp 600 or the Peavey DPC1400X used for the same price. I already have the F1-X and have been using it for the past 9 years. I already have one HT112 that I've been using with the F1-X / EV Dynacord 7100. I'm adding a EX112 which will drop the impedence to 4 ohms. My old 7100 just won't bridge into 4ohms. So I can pick up the used iAmp or the used DPC 1400X for the same money or just use my PLX with the F1-X and forget about the whole problem. It's 2U instead of 1U but I can deal with it if need be.
  8. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I dont know if this helps or not, but I have powered two berg 112s with a trace head 280 watts @ 4 ohms, a ebs td650 @ around 500 watts @ 4 ohms,a plx 1602 @ 500 watts @ 4 ohms and a plx 3402 with either a eden navigator or a aguilar db680 pre 100 watts @ 4 ohms all in a live setting. They all worked fine but I liked the ebs the best. The berg 112s sound fine to me with anything above 200 watts @ 8 ohms each. There not as power hungry as the 322 but can definately take it. It was in a classic rock, 3 piece band with a modulus 5 string.
  9. OK there is a used iAmp 350 floating around. How do you think it would match up with the 2 Bergs?
  10. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I havent played any EA gear, but I would think EA heads and ebs heads would be in the same park (there cabs I think would be in a different park). I could get by with a ebs hd350. I would think it would depend on how much bass you need in your tone. If you have the extra $$$ I would get extra power. The bergs can take it and if you ever need it, you will have it. Just for someting for you to think about, when I under power the berg cabs with a pre/power rig (I have a stewart 1.2 ,350 watts @ 4 ohms) the cabs tend to fart out earlier than when I under power them with a bass head.
  11. I run my HT/EX Berg 112's with Demeter 201s + PLX2402 Bridged or my Walter Woods Ultra, both are SUPERB!
  12. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Another thing Ive noticed is that two is more than twice as good as one. If you use one of them I would have more power. Its easier to get away under powering two of them.
  13. If it were me I would go with the amp that delivers the best transient response for the money. I have not tried the Alembic preamp, but I had the Trace V-Type which is close and also very sweet. If you allready have the preamp, I would go for the best quality power amp you can get. I used the trace through a QSC 850 R-whatever (the $300 Chinese made one) and it was OK. I much prefer the sound of my Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II to that of the pre power setup. I am using it to push the two Berg EX 112s I just got and it does it nicely! As far as Peavey amps go, I used to work at a Peavey dealer and have used the old CS 800 in different configurations before and no problems. I do know a guy who is running an Epifani 310 with that DPC 1400X and he loves it! Personally, I don't care much for their other bass gear, but their power amps are good and you can get them serviced just about anywhere.
  14. well, let's talk about this. the HT 112 is rated for 300W RMS and is 8 Ohm. that is about as sturdy as a single loudspeaker can get -- high power handling and low current draw. i would be shocked if the two 112s couldn't handle the power the DPC can make.

it should be common knowledge by now that the average bass signal comes nowhere near being as stressful for a speaker as the pure sine wave used to give it its RMS rating.

the DPC makes 1400W RMS into 4 Ohms, which is about 75V RMS. Into 8 Ohms, 75V RMS makes 700W RMS. that's about 1400W peak. again, i would be shocked if such a high end 12" driver couldn't handle 1000W peak. for example, the peavey BW 12" 8 Ohm driver is rated for 350W continuous, 700W program, and 1400W peak. if the 12" driver that Jim Bergantino uses is similar, that would be 300W RMS, and around 600W program and 1200W peak. in other words, at 700W per cabinet you'd have to try really hard to achieve overexcursion, let alone burn anything up. if your preamp is really hot, you may be able to push the amp far enough, but i'm relatively confident that it's nearly impossible to blow up an HT 112 with a DPC 1400X or an PLX 1202

just to be sure, i'll call up Jim Bergantino and ask him -- he knows his drivers better than i do, and i've been dying to come up with an excuse to call him.

know your physics.
  15. no, except that 1400W offers incrementally more headroom (with no apparent increase in volume) over 1200W. if 1U v. 2U isn't an issue, then sound quality and affordability are the rules of the day. also, the DPC 1400X (16") is four inches deeper than PLX 1202 (12").

i would encourage you to listen to both at low level and high level. i don't know which would win the sound quality contest. i haven't ever compared the two, and it's purely subjective anyway.

16. I use 1 or 2 HT(EX)112s with a WW Ultra. It is fantastic.

A head like the iAMP 600 (or the smaller 500) would be a great match and be smaller and easier to carry than a rack setup. If I'm going to carry around a rack, it will have at least a PLX 2402 and I'll be moving the larger speakers with it.

Any one of those combinations will sound great.

17. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Take note in my response I said "700W RMS into each speaker" because I misunderstood what you were recommending. That power would destroy the speaker, guaranteed. 700W peak is obviously very different. I should have read about the DPC specs because then I would have known you were referring to peak values. When Im talking about power and speakers I never refer to peak values because its useless. Program power is a useless term as well because all it represents is RMS times two. Continuous power is a useful value however and a pair of Berg 112s could handle that kind of "real" power. I know physics and I understand it too. ;)

18. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Don't mean to hijack your thread Beard Dood, but here goes.... (I haven't forgotten that I owe you some .jpg's)

So like, I have a pair of Epi 112's and an Epi 212. Ironically, but not suprisingly, each of the 112's max's out at 1200 W and the 212 maxes out at 2400. I have a DPC, and I usually run either the pair of 112's or the 212. Both setups present a 4 ohm load to the amp which I run in Bridge. The DPC, rated at 1400 W at 4 ohms works VERY WELL. I'm assuming that each 112 is getting about 700W because that's when they really get sweet. Hard to describe, but real players know what I'm talking about. Anything less than 600W and the cabs aren't really shining.

Now, fast forward to the future.... I have plans for a Crown K2. 2500 W or so to a 4 ohm load and a damping factor to die for. My rationing for this is that the cabs (both epi 112's) while fine at 700W ea. would sound a lot beatter with more headroom, which is what the crown will be providing, not constant POWER at max knob position, but more dynamic response, more "ready to jump out the gates" kind of attack, and the added articlation from the Amp won't hurt.

Is my line of thinking correct? Or am I wasting time and money getting the more powerful, more capable amp?

Please, you may commence the dart throwing.
  19. Mario -- in fact, you are correct in your thinking.

Metron -- read again, please. i did say "700W RMS" and "1400W peak" from the DPC 1400 "per cabinet." i only alluded to it before, but the signal from your bass on average is far less power than the power of the peaks alone. in other words, with an amplifier like the DPC -- capable of continuous power far greater than the continuous rating of the cabinet -- using a bass guitar signal to drive it, it will neither exceed the peak power handling of the driver, nor will it create enough power over time to equal or exceed the continuous rating of the cabinet.

what you get, instead, is a very dynamic sound with tons of headroom and no death or destruction.
  20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I run my Crest ST2000 bridged into a Berg HT112/EX112 setup. That's 2400watts and they love the power. The sound is quick and articulate. It's a thing of beauty.