Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Creegan, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Jim Creegan

Jim Creegan

Oct 4, 2003
    I am just starting to play fretless 4 string bass and need a small amp to practice with acoustic instruments (mando fiddle guitar etc) I would like to get an 8" combo for size weight reasons and because volumn requirements are low. What recomendations for a nice sounding combo do you have?

2. You might look into a Phil Jones Briefcase. I tried one today and it was amazingly good for it's size. Not as good as the 9B powered by an M500 but still really good.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    For practicing and small acoustic jams, the Peavey Microbass sounds good. I happen to have one I'm looking to set free... pm or email me if you're interested...

4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    SWR Workingman 12, big enough to gig with, nice enough to keep when you upgrade to bigger stuff.
  5. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
  6. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Fender Bassman 25. Great sound out of a little box. And under $200 bucks! Oh and this has been asked a lot. I am sure a search will turn up tons of info for you.
  7. I got a Hartke b30 30 watts...1 8 speaker and im willing to sell it if ur intrested...

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    have a microbass... sounds good if used real quiet.
    Stuck it in my attic and replaced it with my little 1x12 Ashdown combo.

I seriously doubt the Microbass could cut it.

I'd look at a 50 to 150 watt 1x10 or 1x12
  9. GK Backline 112. 100watts, kickback feature, ultra small and light, great tone.
  10. Jim Creegan

Jim Creegan

Oct 4, 2003
    Thanks to all who posted. I especially apreciate the phil jones and polytone recomendations as I don't know anything but the MI Lines. I will be looking for a while and while I look I will continue to use my mixer into a crest 6001 and a McCaully 10" floor monitor. Sounds good but a problem to cart around!

11. Hi there,
    I use the Microbass myself, but it's sad that it doesn't have an effects loop.
    Do you happen to know how the sound of the Microbass compares to a Minx? The same sound? Only louder?

PS - its funny how I can mimic the sound of my SVT-3 Pro at home with an EBS Multidrive in front of the Microbass. :D
  12. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I went to buy a Microbass and after A/Bing that and a MINX, I came home with the MINX. Their's a big difference in volume and tone.