1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Practice helps

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Michael Henson, Apr 20, 2006.

1. I know that there are many threads out there about this but I'm hoping to get some pointers more specific to my situation.

I'm an intermediate player, I've learned to play by ear first and now I'm hitting roadblocks right and left. What is a good practice plan that will help me utilize my available time (about 30-45 minutes per day) most efficiently. I know learning my scales and arpeggios is important but what is a practice routine that won't get me burnt out on the technical stuff. Also, I'm using the Complete Bass Book (I think that the title?) for my theory stuff. Are there any other books you recommend?

Thanks!
    -Michael

2. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

If you're looking to deepen your scale knowledge, bass grimoire is where it's at.

3. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i tought/teach myself and always find that what works best is just playing anything pretty much, songs..scales..w/e and just challenge yourself. improvise stuff on bass that is intensly difficult to the point where you can only play it at like 100 beats per minute..and practice it till you can play it at 180. and most importently do whatever you can do make your sound good...i had "bad" technique when i began to play..and sounded like crap. so i worked on making myself sound good...and when i sounded good, i found that i had "good" technique.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Running endless scales is boring as hell. Books are great for improving knowledge, but making music is where it's at. Make your practice interesting by putting it in a musical context. Instead of running a scale up and down, over and over, try using the notes of the scale to create a dynamic melody line or a good groove.

That said, playing with others has always accelerated my learning curve faster than anything else.

5. I play with others on a regular basis. Me and some guys from my church get together and jam but I find myself playing the same lines and structures over and over. I have never really devoted myself to studying theory, scales and arpeggios so i think the Bass Grimoire book will help in that regard.

6. kurkomat

kurkomat

Aug 28, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Get a good teacher! I can't stress this enough. It will take years off your practicing schedule and get you where you want to go faster. It doesn't have to be a bass teacher (some of the best bass-players have had piano or horn players as their instructors) and you don't have to go every week- twice a month is great. I don't know why we (as humans) shy away from the human interaction of getting a teacher but it's the best thing you can do for your playing.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Try playing with NEW people. If all of you are playing the same thing every time, you're all getting stale. Or, like kurkomat suggested, get a teacher.

I misunderstood your first post. If learning about theory and scales is new to you, it may open up a whole new world of possibilities. Like I mentioned before, try to keep things musical.