Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

practice or adjustment?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Briguy, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Briguy

Briguy

Feb 14, 2005
    Ive been trying to play the cover of No Quarter by Tool, and if you've heard the song the end bass line is a bad ass:
    g-------------|
    d-------3-p0
    A----3-p0
    D-3-p0

the tab is indisputable, however pulling off to an open note seems like an impossiblity for me. Ive been baffled as to whether I just need to work on the speed of pulling off so its sustained longer or should I be trying to adjust the amp settings so the notes sustain longer.

I cant really record myself playing it to give you an idea of how Im playing it, but what I get is more or less of a hum from the open note, kinda like what you'd hear if you muted over the 3rd fret.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Start SLOW.

Work on getting the first pull off to be clean (you are actually plucking the string with your left hand finger). An open string will sustain well if you pull off cleanly.

Then move on to doing all three pulloffs, still SLOW.

Then work it up to speed.

3. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    dont just pull your finger off the string, pull the string with your finger, if you do it right, your fret hand should be right about the next string ready to do the next pull

4. Briguy

Briguy

Feb 14, 2005
    AWESOME! thank you, cause I would sit there and stare at the sting and my fingers wondering where am I supposed to get this extra sound.