1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice techniques

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by j3ffrey, Feb 25, 2013.

1. j3ffrey

j3ffrey

Jan 11, 2011
    I have been playing guitars and electric basses for many years now. About 3 years ago I finally bought a double bass (wanted one forever). I am doing pretty well playing pizzacato (Spelling?) -Jazz and Funk Styles. However I am very interested in arco technique. I have a bow and some basic technique down as of now. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good exercises to develop this skill. I can read music just fine and have a good musical foundation but I am finding the coordination hard. Are there any sites that offer free exercises? how can I build this technique short of taking a lesson? (that would probably work best but I don't have the time or money).

2. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    Hey there,

1st recommendation here is, as always, get a teacher. The reasons are wide-spreading, and in general you'll be happier with the results.

When working on co-ordination, I've always found working with the metronome at a slow tempo the best way to improve it. Chromatic scales, 2 octaves, at quarter note = 40 would be how I would tackle this obstacle.

Be careful, don't hurt yourself, and have fun.

cheers,

eerbrev

3. j3ffrey

j3ffrey

Jan 11, 2011
    Hey thanks for the advice

4. There are earlier threads that might help you. One was started by MisterBeagle on 04-14-2008 about shifting. This Double Bass forum contains heaps of advice and it is just a case of choosing the right search questions. I will try and find a few more threads for you too.

Cheers, DP

5. More threads for you -

menoluv 04-01-2010
    thebassist 11-21-2008
    cotton 4545 02-09-2011

Also posts on 07-08-2012, 11-14-2012 and 12-16-2012

Some of our names come up fairly regularly in these threads. By clicking on a name you look up a list of all the posts they have made on different topics as another quick way to hunt out information.

Happy hunting and best wishes,
    DP

6. jaff

jaff

Jun 7, 2006
    Arizona
    I've been working out of 'Strokin' by Harold Robinson. Extremely comprehensive with every bowing you could think of and more. It really helps to have a teacher with this book too.

7. j3ffrey

j3ffrey

Jan 11, 2011
    thanks David, I'll check those out