1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

practice/throw back on budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Milk eWay, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Milk eWay

Milk eWay

Nov 23, 2006
    IA
    I'm in the market for a new practice amp (the crate p.o.s. I'm using distorts like non-other and has watts in the double digits)

I want something with a good amount of low end, but not super sloppy. Reliability is also very important. I've read a lot of horror stories on the forums about the cheaper brands.

The goal $400 or less.

Please suggest some amps, as well as a brief tone description.

(fyi, Since the "mom and pop" store died, i dont have a lot of shops that have any bass amps. The only store is guitar center and the branch here only has full stacks and behringer combos :bawl: )

2. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    How much power do you want?

3. Milk eWay

Milk eWay

Nov 23, 2006
    IA
    The only used stuff i have access is here on tb and i feel really weird buying used stuff online (new is hard enough)

You guys can look at whats for sell here at TB and suggest stuff also. I've been through it myself a few times last week and i will probably look through it again.

As for the posts, they give me something to think about. Anyone have any more suggestions?

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Although it usually sells for $445, the Roland Cube is outstanding. It's my standard recommendation for a practice and rehearsal amp. It's very loud for its size and 100 watt power rating. With all the models it has several tones, but I prefer Roland's "Super Flat" model, which is a solid, well balanced sound that works with all my basses. You could probably find one on eBay for less, and some on line retailers might offer a discount if you call. I think I got mine for $415. The Cube 30 is within your budget and probably also sounds great, but I've never tried one. Otherwise, I like the SWR WorkingPro models. They deliver full, clear sound at a reasonable price. I think the Roland and SWR lines are better than Fender's Bassman models and Eden's Silver series.

And don't ignore Peavey. I've read and heard very good things about the Max 115 combo.

5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I second the LD150!!!

It's what I use as a practice amp & it really is great. I think it totally outclasses any other "practice" sized combo at its' price point.

It tilts back to 45 degrees, has an mp3 input, and you get 4 programmable sounds plus a built in tuner!

I chose it for the following reasons:
    -Sounds good at loud and quiet volumes
    -Tuner built in + mp3 input
    -I get a better idea of what my instruments/effects will sound like through my real-world rigs
    -tilt back feature is great in a small room
    -for $400, you get a lot more for your money

I have used the LD150 with an agressive Jazz trio (piano, bass, drums) and it was plenty loud at about 50% on the volume dial. I doubt it would stand up to drums + electric guitar, though.

It throws a surprising amount of low-end out. I actually find myself dialing the bass lower than I expect. The LD150 really puts out a lot more "booty" than the other practice combos I auditioned. It also sounds a lot more like a "real" amp with the POD modeling (compared to a little combo).

I have used the xlr out for some home recording with excellent results. The b-15 and "brit" models are killer!

6. I second the used recommendation. Just buy from a known seller with good feedback and you'll be fine.

In that price range used... SWR Basic Black, although any that are out there are fairly old as it was discontinued a while ago. Great amp though, allot better than any of the working man or working pro stuff.

Yorkville combos are great too. Also, the Carvin BR 12 is very nice for a little combo and right in your price range. http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BR12&CID=BA

For a little more you could get the 112 BRX NEO combo too, which is the B800 head with a 112 NEO. Great little amp and you could drive another cab with it too. It's $600 though and out of your budget range.

7. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I second all of these, plus anything from Yorkville and Peavey. Buy used online!!! TB classifieds, ebay, craigslist, etc.

8. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've got a Cube 30, very nice, fun little amp too. Got mine used for about $150. Won't keep up with a band well, but great for practice and low volume.

Just a couple weekends ago I took it to a practice I thought was gonna be me a two guitars in a living room, but a drummer showed up and played on a drumset there. The guys were pretty impressed with the Cube 'til we started with the drums. Tilting it back and dialing out low frequencies helped a little, it did its best but I had brought a knife to a gunfight, so we had to mute the drums. I'd bet the 100W version would have handled it.

9. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021